North American Turbocoupe Organization



Some before/after pics
jtucci Offline
Junior Member
#1
Here's a few before and after photos of some of the work I've been doing on the bird. I don't have plans on any mods, I like the car as close to stock as I can. Just trying to slowly make her pretty again. 1st time posting photos, let's see if it works.
I tell ya, not being a mechanic, there is definitely a pucker factor when you replace the springs when you don't know exactly what to expect. I was able to get them done without injury, but there was a close call where another inch could have been a lost finger.


Attached Files Image(s)
                                           
Mikey97D likes this post
Reply

Kuch Offline
Senior Member
#2
Excellent work on the drivetrain and suspension pieces, these are notoriously left out of freshening up. Did you go through the rear end and change out the fluids, bearings, and seals too? Whenever I do any front springs I always have a small floor jack under the control arm to control the amount of drop. Same for installing them, small jack to move them back up into place. Everything looks excellent, keep it up
1988 Turbo Coupe, Black/Black, 5 Speed, Moonroof,  T3/T4 50 trim, ported E6, 255LPH, Kirban, 3" DP dual 2.5" w Hooker Maxflows, MGW shifter, K&N, Gillis valve, RR cam, Koni's
1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL, 390 6V, Big Solid cam, Headers,3.89's, 4 Speed, Vast and fast
1960 Ford Starliner, 292 Y Block, 312 4bbl intake, headers, 3 Speed, slow and low
Reply

jtucci Offline
Junior Member
#3
(12-05-2020, 02:05 PM)Kuch Wrote: Excellent work on the drivetrain and suspension pieces, these are notoriously left out of freshening up. Did you go through the rear end and change out the fluids, bearings, and seals too? Whenever I do any front springs I always have a small floor jack under the control arm to control the amount of drop. Same for installing them, small jack to move them back up into place. Everything looks excellent, keep it up

I did the fluid in the rear end, but at the time that I was doing the work I didn't get the bearings and seals done.  I was on a time crunch because my garage door was getting replaced and I had to get the car well enough to be moved, so I didn't remove as much as i was originally planning to. I like to tinker with it, so maybe a project later on down the road.  For the springs, I didn't have the car high enough, so I had to get a little tension on it to then slide the jack under.  I found a tool that pretty much looks like an L bracket with a round base that bolts into the circle of the A arm, which allowed me to get it lifted enough to slide the jack under without slipping.
Reply

Interceptor86 Offline
Junior Member
#4
Looks great! That’s exactly what I’m working on doing this winter! Keep up the great work!
jtucci likes this post
Reply

anasazi4st Offline
Senior Member
#5
(12-05-2020, 12:36 AM)jtucci Wrote: Here's a few before and after photos of some of the work I've been doing on the bird. I don't have plans on any mods, I like the car as close to stock as I can. Just trying to slowly make her pretty again. 1st time posting photos, let's see if it works.
I tell ya, not being a mechanic, there is definitely a pucker factor when you replace the springs when you don't know exactly what to expect. I was able to get them done without injury, but there was a close call where another inch could have been a lost finger.

I can’t properly express to you just how impressed I am with your work. Seriously. Your efforts are an example the rest of us should be following, and it gets me fired up for my own projects this winter.

Just seeing what you’ve done proves that these cars aren’t too old or rare to be properly repaired and maintained, as some claim.

Please keep us informed of your progress with more great photos.
Another proud dues-paying member.

1987 Turbo Coupe w/T5OD, 8.8 axle, grey smoke; most options. Got it in 1991 with 41K miles: 3 turbos, 2 heater cores, 1 T5OD full rebuild, 5 clutches, 1 head gasket, 2 Teves II ABS units, etc. later....
Reply

Mikey97D Offline
Member
#6
Looks great!

I want to do the same with the rear out of my car in the near future.
1988 TC, 5 spd, Stinger 3" Exhaust, Schneider Roller Cam, -4° Cam Pulley, Cone Filter, Gilles Boost Control Valve set at 17 psi, [font=medium-content-sans-serif-font, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, "Segoe UI", Roboto, Oxygen, Ubuntu, Cantarell, "Open Sans", "Helvetica Neue", sans-serif]Walbro 255 lph, [/font]CHE Rear Lower and Upper Control Arms, Braided Brake Lines, Hawk HPS 5.0 Front and HPS (F) Rear, CRES Inserts in front calipers, and '93 Cobra Wheels with General 235/50R17 Tires.   
Reply





Users browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)



Theme © iAndrew 2018 - Software MyBB