North American Turbocoupe Organization



Questions Questions... Parking Brake Pedal
Tedybear315 Offline
Junior Member
#1
Question #2:

I know someone posted a more indepth how-to on getting the parking brake pedal assembly out for an R&R.  But I can't seem to find any solid details.

We of course have the seats removed, and after doing an origami folding action have the lower bolt out, and the wife managed to get the one partly blocked by the parking brake cable itself almost out.  Would we be better served to just pull the dash again?  I'd hate to do that, but this thing is kicking our butts.

The ratchet assembly is rusted to the point it's not moving unless you give it a ton of help.  We soaked it down in PB blaster and it's still super tight.  So we're going to probably pull the one out of the '87 and transplant it into the '88  (provided it's not also rusted up to a pulp)

Any assistance is welcome for tips and tricks on getting that piggy out.

S-
Reply

Jeff K Online
Administrator
#2
It has been years since I had mine out, but I remember it being somewhat of a PITA. I seem to remember I took the cable end off before removing the park brake assy. I did it with the seat still in the car.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
05 Taurus SEL Duratec daily driver
04 Taurus Duratec (wifes car)
02 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Reply

Tedybear315 Offline
Junior Member
#3
(03-02-2020, 02:36 PM)Jeff K Wrote: It has been years since I had mine out, but I remember it being somewhat of a PITA. I seem to remember I took the cable end off before removing the park brake assy.  I did it with the seat still in the car.

Job's 1/2 done.  We had to pull the drivers seat for the motor issue (different thread)

Managed to get the one out of the donor car.  Minimal rust.  I hosed the pivot for the parking brake lock lever with fluid film.

Glad I picked up the front parking brake cable with the rest of the stuff.  It works, but the retaining collar didn't like being tampered with.  That rust on that assembly was pretty bad.

Upper bolt is the real PITA.  And the cruse module location isn't the best.  I bent the bracket out of the way.  Wound up using a 1/4" drive ratchet with the 10mm deep well to clear the shoulders of the mounting assembly.

Wife and I will be installing the new parking brake front cable and pedal on Sunday.  We're going to wire wheel and give the threads some light lube when it gets assembled.  It was just crusty enough to cause problems.  Going to see if we can limit that.

Thanks!!

S-
Reply





Users browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)



Theme © iAndrew 2018 - Software MyBB