North American Turbocoupe Organization

Falling flat on my face
Mark'87TC Offline
my car is running great. that is, until i get boost. it all bleeds out as fast as the turbo can make it. all of my hoses and lines are connected. i just changed the head gasket and that makes me worry about the head gasket lifting under boost, it makes me think "what if i f*cked up the torque sequence or didn't clean things good enough."

are there any tell tale signs of head gasket lifting?? the only other thing i can think of, is its leaking from one of the intake manifold gaskets. But the car idle's just fine, and accelerates better than ever, until i get boost, then it sucks, or that is to say blows (out of God knows where)

Glenn 88TC Offline
Posting Freak
When it falls on its face is there a loud sound of rushing air or does it just dye quietly. If the head gasket was lifting you would know it. Leaking and smoking would tell you.

Rushing sound of air usually means an intercooler hose isn't on right(folded over) or is split(only opens under load). It is very hard to tell sometimes. I have done this and rechecked them many times only to find later.

Just dying quietly couild be the hoise before the vam collapsing. That will really jerk the car off power and throw you front in the seat quickly.

------------------
mods: SDS Digital Fuel Injection, ported & polished big valve head(1.89/1.59), .500 lift roller cam, custom upper and ported lower intakes, 60-1 stage III .63 turbo, powerstroke intercooler, 60mm throttle body, 75pph injectors, Walboro 255HP pump, Kirban adj. fuel reg., ATR header, 3" exhaust with Dynomax Ultraflow muffler, MSD 6al, MSD coil, MSD Launch Control, MSD 8.5mm wires, K&N filter, Star stage III clutch, Greddy Profec B boost controller, Weld Draglites with M/T ET Street 26x11.5/15

[This message has been edited by Glenn 88TC (edited 04-07-2004).]
NO TC and NO headaches.

Mark'87TC Offline
there is a sound of rushing air when it boosts, after the car has just been running i can here a hissing sound coming out from around the pcv. i know my valve cover gasket is a little bit worn out, but i dont think that would cause this much of a power loss, if any at all.

she holds oil pressure and theres no smoke, or leaking. it doesn't die either. there is a very small fold over on the turbo to IC hose, its right were the hose clamp secures

[This message has been edited by Mark'87TC (edited 04-07-2004).]

Glenn 88TC Offline
Posting Freak
I still can't see it being the head gasket. If it lifted enough to lose power it would be contaminating the oil into the coolant or vice versa.

I would concentrate on that fold over first. It is amazing how the pessure the turbo creates can cause the hoses to expand and leak if not 100% correctly installed. If you think it isn't the fold over then try putting(nice thick bead) some kind of paste or gel(thick toothpaste, thick hair gel) around the folded area and see if it blows off after the air rushing sound happens. It will only require a short first gear boost so it won't burn off. If the air doesn't leak there the paste should be in the same place. Just a thought.

If it was the intake leaking you would noticew a decrease or inconcsistent vac reading. you can also check for vac leaks by spraying starting fluid on the vac lines and listening for a change in idle.

------------------
mods: SDS Digital Fuel Injection, ported & polished big valve head(1.89/1.59), .500 lift roller cam, custom upper and ported lower intakes, 60-1 stage III .63 turbo, powerstroke intercooler, 60mm throttle body, 75pph injectors, Walboro 255HP pump, Kirban adj. fuel reg., ATR header, 3" exhaust with Dynomax Ultraflow muffler, MSD 6al, MSD coil, MSD Launch Control, MSD 8.5mm wires, K&N filter, Star stage III clutch, Greddy Profec B boost controller, Weld Draglites with M/T ET Street 26x11.5/15

[This message has been edited by Glenn 88TC (edited 04-07-2004).]
NO TC and NO headaches.

GlassRooster Offline
I agree with Glenn - happened to me- I loosened the 2 worm gears that are closest to the inter cooler( underneath and where it connects to the intake ) unhook the small hoses to the intercooler and pull it off. After doin this a couple of times it is easier to make sure the hose going from the turbo to underneath the intercooler is seated and the worm gear tightened to the turbo first. Insert the intercooler into the hose going to the intake first and then try to seat it in the hose going to the turbo. Feel around the base of the intercooler (Tight area have fun) to make sure it isnt folded over, Pull it out and reseat if necessary. Next, tighten the worm gear on the hose going to the intake then enjoy the task of tightening the worm gear on the underside (Try to prealign the worm gear so it is easier to get a socket or screwdriver to). Reattach the vaccuum hoses to the intercooler. and give the car a spin. I is a newbie So If you veterens have a correction post it please
David

87 TC Faded Burgundy with faded red interior
K&N and cold air ducting- rest is bone stock
02 Mazda Protege 5 Replaced Dead Saturn
99 Cougar- Wife's car new body style now Discontinued.