North American Turbocoupe Organization

87 TC rebuild opinions
JSE1880 Offline
Engine comes out Monday morning and should be at machine shop Monday afternoon. Very anxious to hear what he finds! Likely not going too wild with rebuild, if cam is in good shape I’ll likely leave it, if not I have a good RR on standby with a set of good rollers. Should I get new springs from Bo? Going to get the engine sorted out and put back together then start buying parts to finish her off. Hope I can drive her with in the next 3-6 months ??‍♂️. Garrett T3 being shipped to Forced Performance in TX for rebuilding.
87 TC - 5 spd - BlK w RED/BLK interior - stinger 3” downpipe to dual 2.5 - stinger FMIC - stinger BOV - stinger stage 2 BCV - braided oil return and feed - .020 over CP pistons and 5.2 rods - BoPort 1.5, spring and HLA kit with rollers - walbro 255-  kirban FPR - K&N - PIMPx - knifed lower - gutted 90 rotated upped - bob log center mount - T3 68/63 custom - 3” fiberglass cowl hood - 

JSE1880 Offline
Engine has been at machine shop for a few weeks. Unfortunately there is a backlog of work ahead of me. Most parts have been ordered including: BoPort 1.5, new springs, followers, HLAs, CP rods and pistons, stinger FMIC, round tooth conversion, walbro255, kirban FPR, new turbo oil lines, Rad + shroud and dual fan, a used T3 being rebuilt at forced performance. Hoping the engine can be tended to in the next few weeks and brought back to the bird to start assembly. I have first local car show June 25 I would love to attend. May be a bit too tight! Still need to get an electric PS pump, radiator hoses, water lines, downpipe, stand-alone, potentially a new front end if it’s in the budget and while the engine is out! ???
87 TC - 5 spd - BlK w RED/BLK interior - stinger 3” downpipe to dual 2.5 - stinger FMIC - stinger BOV - stinger stage 2 BCV - braided oil return and feed - .020 over CP pistons and 5.2 rods - BoPort 1.5, spring and HLA kit with rollers - walbro 255-  kirban FPR - K&N - PIMPx - knifed lower - gutted 90 rotated upped - bob log center mount - T3 68/63 custom - 3” fiberglass cowl hood - 

Mikey97D Offline
(03-24-2023, 01:26 AM)JSE1880 Wrote: Engine has been at machine shop for a few weeks. Unfortunately there is a backlog of work ahead of me. Most parts have been ordered including: BoPort 1.5, new springs, followers, HLAs, CP rods and pistons, stinger FMIC, round tooth conversion, walbro255, kirban FPR, new turbo oil lines, Rad + shroud and dual fan, a used T3 being rebuilt at forced performance. Hoping the engine can be tended to in the next few weeks and brought back to the bird to start assembly. I have first local car show June 25 I would love to attend. May be a bit too tight! Still need to get an electric PS pump, radiator hoses, water lines, downpipe, stand-alone, potentially a new front end if it’s in the budget and while the engine is out! ???

Whoa!  Hope the parts come in time for that list and date.

Foxbody Club of Connecticut is having their Season Opener Show on April 30th.  Berlin, CT
I'll probably be the only Foxbody Thunderbird there........it will be  pleasant surprise if there are more!
1988 TC, 5 spd, Stinger 3" Exhaust, Schneider Roller Cam, -4° Cam Pulley, Cone Filter, Gilles Boost Control Valve set at 17 psi, Walbro 255 lph, CHE Rear Lower and Upper Control Arms, Braided Brake Lines, Hawk HPS 5.0 Front and HPS (F) Rear, CRES Inserts in front calipers, and '93 Cobra Wheels with General 235/50R17 Tires.   

JSE1880 Offline
Most parts have arrived to the machinist and the engine is being worked on as of yesterday. May be a couple more weeks before I can bring her home. Rebuilt Turbo is just waiting for a compressor wheel. I’m planning on installing an electric PS pump in the driver wheel well, due to the 90 rotated upper. The new 3G alt is being rolled down out of the way, does this mean I don’t need the original bulky PS pump bracket? Doubt I’d be ready by the end of the month, hoping to be ready by June 15

JSE1880 Offline
Engine is back. Tim’s to start putting it together. Clean up factory Distrbutor or go aftermarket? I think I know the answer, is it worth it to get a billet intermediate and bronze gear from Essy? I’ve been trying to research and find pics of the Volvo electric PS pump install. Any recommendations for water pumps
Mikey97D likes this post

BradM Offline
Research converting to EDIS ignition before you invest in the OEM design. I had nothing but trouble because the shaft and distributor gear wear cause the timing to move (and skip). There is a tone-ring kit for these engines available on eBay. Then you can source OEM parts for the rest.
1965 Mercury Comet Caliente; 1968 Mercury Monterey; 1969 F100 Ranger; 1982 Mustang; 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe; 2017 Police Interceptor