North American Turbocoupe Organization

No start,no power inside.(Long)
Hybridbird Offline
Posting Freak
So I get in the T/C yesterday(88).I won't turn over,I got lights and radio and what-not but no start..not even a click.So I get out and jump the terminals at the solenoid,starts right up.I figure no prob,get a new solenoid.3 stops to make before I get home,1 time it starts right up with the key other 2 I gotta jump the terminals again.I get home,put on the new solenoid,then I got NOTHING inside the <A TITLE="Click for more information about car" STYLE="background-color: #f0f000; " HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||cars|AA1VDw">car</A> not only no start,but no power inside what so ever-no domes,no horn,nothing on the dash.I put MY solenoid back in..same thing.I did find one of the wires under the solenoid with a fuse link in it was broken,fixed that and nothing changed.Put in a new ignition switch......nothing.I put power to the little post on my solenoid and I can here the switch opening and closing inside.I took the green wire with the ring terminal off the right side bolt of the solenoid and put power directly to it and got all my power inside back,I put the power right on the ring connector,so I know the fuse link is good.Is there maybe one main fuse that feeds the whole rest of the fuseblock inside?Maybe some thing else that I blew by jumping the terminals those 3 or 4 times?I 'm on my way back to !@#$%^ with it some more......

------------------
"Finch....get the f*ck away from that fikas......that is a jizz-free fikas!"

[This message has been edited by Hybridbird (edited 10-15-2003).]
"Finch....get the f*ck away from that Ficus......that's a jizz-free Ficus!"

Kev Offline
Posting Freak
If you have another solenoid that hasn't been touched, or even a good pic of one, I would make absolutely sure that you put all the wires back on the new solenoid right. Seems stupid, but it's the little things that get us way too much.
Kev
1988 TC 5spd

iflipcars Offline
i'm just guessing but the car i just got had the clutch sensor out and he was starting it by the selonoid. just a hunch.

iflipcars Offline
what about the clutch sensor?

fordtech58 Offline
The battery cable and all the smaller fuse link wires go to the same terminal of the solenoid. The cable to the starter motor goes to the other terminal, and the small push-on wire goes on the small post. It may seem unreasonable but all those fuse links have power at all times, direct to the battery thats why they have fuse link protection. The small push-on wire is the signal from the ignition to trigger the solenoid and send power to the starter.
Hope this helps, Rick B.

------------------
85 Elan 5.0 Mine since 86
85 TC 5spd. Wifes toy
86 TC 5spd. 1 owner Calif
86 TC 5spd. pc/rotted
88 TC 5spd pc/rotted
01 F150 Supercrew towrig
03 Taurus 3.0 24v 200hp. wifes new tire fryer wish that TC button was turbocharger not traction control
84 RZ350 Yamaha my ride
81 Ltd440 Kawasaki wifes
registry loves us !!!!!
80 Buick Dragcar 440ci Chevy [email protected] (was originally a turbo)
86 TC 5spd. 1 owner from California
07 Kawasaki ZX14 [email protected]
2012 ZX14 Drag bike [email protected] still tuning!!
05 Suzuki Hayabusa, [email protected] 1/4, 198.9604 2011 Loring

80 Buick Dragcar 440ci Chevy [email protected]

Hybridbird Offline
Posting Freak
Thanx guys.Both of my big cables going to the solenoid are red after being replaced.I got them backwards.It works now.....anyone want to hand me my sign?

------------------

Chuck W Offline
Posting Freak
You might wanna wrap some black tape around the one going to the starter....just as a reminder in case you disconnect them again [Image: biggrin.gif]

------------------
Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental..
83 TC Clone, 87 Ranger (soon to be 2.3T), 84 XR7, 86 XR4 and 62 Mercury Monterey (old n slo)
NATO Member
83 TC Clone, 85 Mercury LTS, 97 Volvo 850 T5 Turbo, 78 Volvo 240, 93 F150

Hybridbird Offline
Posting Freak
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I did get power back inside the,both of the cables coming off of my solenoid are red since being replaced so I had them backwards,:O but still no start Neutral start on the trans,funny you should mention that.I finally got under it this morning,since we put in a clutch a couple of weeks ago,maybe I didn't plug it in tight and it came loose.Loose?Yes.Unplugged?NO....I found what was left of a HUGE tree brach broke off between the X-member and the tranny and the part of the harness that goes from the big grey plug up to the side of the tranny GONE.Ripped clean off by what I am guessing was the other part of the branch that got broke off.When I mentioned it to my wife she remebered it from like over week ago(right about when it quit running)she said she was trying to avoid a huge pothole in the park and went into the grass a little and did not see the branch..only heard it because it was so dark and happened so fast.Yikes...thank God for parts cars in the driveway....funny part is that almost this exact thing happened a couple months ago,but only unplugged it,yet I never thought of it this time.(little slow)I feel like an idiot being as how it was something so small.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Hybridbird (edited 10-19-2003).]

Kev Offline
Posting Freak
"but it's the little things that get us way too much."

told ya

I'm glad you got it figured out.

Kev
Kev
1988 TC 5spd

Chuck W Offline
Posting Freak
Cool! Too bad she didn't mention it sooner. [Image: biggrin.gif]

------------------
Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental..
83 TC Clone, 87 Ranger (soon to be 2.3T), 84 XR7, 86 XR4 and 62 Mercury Monterey (old n slo)
NATO Member
83 TC Clone, 85 Mercury LTS, 97 Volvo 850 T5 Turbo, 78 Volvo 240, 93 F150