North American Turbocoupe Organization

Site constantly being hacked
gtbird Offline
Why is this wonderful, informative site constantly being hacked (latest by interdocs002) by spammers. Even though I no longer have a T/C after 19 years of ownership, I still read new posts daily and offer any advice I can.
What happened to “Can’t we all just get along?”
I feel bad that the moderators have to constantly have to go in and delete all the useless crap!!!
Rick
1988 T/C Silver with red interior, fully loaded except for leather. 5 lug conversion with 97 Cobra wheels, Cobra 13" brakes up front, Mustang brakes out back, Koni adjustable shocks and struts, NOS Koni lowering springs . Maximum Motorsports control arms and caster/camber plates, subframe connectors.
SOLD September 2020. Will miss this car after 19 years of building/driving/showing....time for a new chapter in my life.

JT Offline
Posting Freak
The site isn't being hacked, it's just being spammed. While that's not uncommon, what is unusual is how this site is (isn't) handling the issue. Even though the accounts may get banned the posts remain, days later, which does nothing for the community.

When someone comes to this site and they see the spam, see that it was posted days ago and remains, it really makes the site look bad and that it has been abandoned.

[Image: natospam.jpg]

andrewjs18 Offline
Administrator
it is just spam, as mentioned above, not the site being hacked.

I totally removed all of the threads and posts from the previously banned spammer.

Chas K 88 Offline
The spammers are relentless and as previously mentioned, they're making the site look bad. I've enjoyed this site for many years, what is the best way for us to notify an Admin that they've struck again so it can be cleaned up?
Chas K
Current setup - 88 T-bird, 5 speed, vacuum assist master cylinder, T3/T4 50 trim turbo from Bo-port, oil feed & return lines, 3” turbo down elbow, 3" to 2.5" dual exhaust and PiMPx from Stinger 255LPH fuel pump, CD, trip-minder, RR , K&N, 140 MPH speedo conversion (thanks Jeff K).

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
I have been purging spammers every few days for several months now. Why they post makes no sense to me. Obviously everyone immediately sees the posts as spam and ignores them.

To any and all potential spammers..... GET A LIFE!! None of us have any interest in the garbage you post.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

JT Offline
Posting Freak
(11-25-2022, 01:25 AM)Jeff K Wrote: I have been purging spammers every few days for several months now. Why they post makes no sense to me. Obviously everyone immediately sees the posts as spam and ignores them.

To any and all potential spammers..... GET A LIFE!! None of us have any interest in the garbage you post.

Jeff, they aren't all real people. They are simply taking advantage of the Internet and this site's loopholes. Besides a simple recaptcha, this site appears to be easy to Register and Spam. There are many options available that aren't being utilized.

What I don't understand is why the spammers appear to get Banned, yet their posts remain on the site for a few days at a time.

Not only does it clutter the forum, it really does make the site look bad and/or abandoned.

JT Offline
Posting Freak
(11-24-2022, 01:38 PM)Chas K 88 Wrote: The spammers are relentless and as previously mentioned, they're making the site look bad. I've enjoyed this site for many years, what is the best way for us to notify an Admin that they've struck again so it can be cleaned up?

There is a Report post button found in each post. That is supposed to be the way to notify Staff of an issue for Spam or concerns regarding Moderation.

I used to do this a few months ago but it didn't appear to result in any quick resolution. The Spammer accounts appear to get Banned but their posts remain for a few days after their account is Banned. I'm guessing a Staff(s) either don't have full access to remove posts (?!) or they are unaware of how to do so and they simply Ban the account. It is bizarre. The posts staying up is more damaging than any action on the account's permissions.

Chas K 88 Offline
I'm glad I'm not an admin here, it looks like every couple of weeks there's an outbreak that needs to be sanitized. The latest one, I stopped looking for anything interesting on "General Discussion" after 10 pages of trash. What do I care about cheap call girls in Dubai anyway? I'm sure the admins are tired of cleaning it up. As a suggestion, would it be possible to make posting be approved by an admin, or all posts be routed through an admin before before being viewable by the rest of us?

Just an idea. God bless the admins we have that keep doing this day after day.
Chas K
Current setup - 88 T-bird, 5 speed, vacuum assist master cylinder, T3/T4 50 trim turbo from Bo-port, oil feed & return lines, 3” turbo down elbow, 3" to 2.5" dual exhaust and PiMPx from Stinger 255LPH fuel pump, CD, trip-minder, RR , K&N, 140 MPH speedo conversion (thanks Jeff K).

JT Offline
Posting Freak
(12-14-2022, 11:40 PM)Chas K 88 Wrote: As a suggestion, would it be possible to make posting be approved by an admin, or all posts be routed through an admin before before being viewable by the rest of us?

That would not be a good idea for the community. Most sites like NATO do not require approval for submitted content - atleast not by accounts that have contributed over the years. Nor do any of the major platforms do that.

At the most, the possibility to require approval for new accounts could be considered. However, given the Admins don't delete the spam for a few days, that would suggest that submitted content may not get approved for days. That would be a terrible experience to the new members and those of us who still use the site. All because of typical internet spam that other sites have learned to deal with years ago.

I have been a member since the beginning, back when Bob came up with the idea, and I have watched this site grow and now decline. The site needs help but it appears there is a lack of interest.