North American Turbocoupe Organization

Sons T bird
Turboscott Offline
Guys we started having a issue after him driving the car for several months. It quit on him at the local convenience store do I went and pulled him home. You can cycle the key several times meaning 7-8 and it will start and run great with no issues. If you just turn on the key and try to start it it will crank forever and no start. I’ve changed the fuel filter and the old one was free flow as can be. The codes are 23 and 83 and them blink twice. Meaning 23 again then 83 again. Then it pauses and throws a 72 and then 72 again. I put on a brand new IRMC also. I’m at a lose here.

Mikey97D Offline
https://turbotbird.com/thread-eec-codes--35796

23 TP Sensor Out of Range
83 ?

72 Power Interrupt Detected

Inspect the ignition switch would be my starting point especially with the Power Interrupt Code.
1988 TC, 5 spd, Stinger 3" Exhaust, Schneider Roller Cam, -4° Cam Pulley, Cone Filter, Gilles Boost Control Valve set at 17 psi, Walbro 255 lph, CHE Rear Lower and Upper Control Arms, Braided Brake Lines, Hawk HPS 5.0 Front and HPS (F) Rear, CRES Inserts in front calipers, and '93 Cobra Wheels with General 235/50R17 Tires.   

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
^^^^ +1 on checking / replacing the ignition switch. Common issue that causes weird issues on all virtually Fords from the 80s thru the mid 90s. I carry a used but known good ignition switches in the trunks of both my Tbirds. New switches are only around $15 to $20 and pretty easy to replace.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

Turboscott Offline
Thank y’all I will see if that’s ut

Turboscott Offline
Ok so we tried a new ignition with no help, now won’t start at all, getting fire! Changed the IAC also. Still showing codes 23 & 83? Anything guys? Thanks

BradM Offline
Do you have fuel pressure? Turn key on and hear the pump? Push in the schrader valve on the fuel rail (rear, behind intake) to see if you have fuel pressure. Then check spark while cranking. Start with the basics and worry about the codes later (which may have nothing to do with your problem).
1965 Mercury Comet Caliente; 1968 Mercury Monterey; 1969 F100 Ranger; 1982 Mustang; 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe; 2017 Police Interceptor