North American Turbocoupe Organization

Short Throw Shifter Advice Please
DaleLeo Offline
Hi

I want to get a short throw shifter and am looking at MGW.  Does anyone have any experieince with this or another brand?

What transmission does an '84 have-- is it a T5?

Thank You

Dale

spittinfire Offline
Over the years we've used a lot of shifters on the T5s during our rebuilds. We've rebuilt hundreds if not thousands of them and retrofit them into all kinds of old cars. We've always had good luck with Tri-Ax shifters. You'll see them listed by a number of names such as Long like the one in my car. They're simple, they're tough and work really well.
The MGW you're looking at gives a little more adjustment for shifter location which is some cases can help or hurt. In the case of just changing a shifter it can get in the way because it shifts the lever off the stock location. It may be a great shifter, just something to think about.

Keep in mind that most of your "short" throw shifters only shorten the handle, the internal transmission parts still have to move the same distance. Yes, the shifter improves on feel through a tighter pivot point, shift stops and probably some centering springs but the actual throw comes from a shorter handle. IF you cut an inch off the stock handle the throw would decrease greatly.

Kuch Offline
I run the MGW "Comfort" shifter in my 88. It has a great solid feel to it and the shifts are smooth. I do like the fact that I can rotate the shifter handle around to move it closer to my seat. I am not a fan of those super short shifter handles so for me this fits well. Nice product
1988 Turbo Coupe, Black/Black, 5 Speed, Moonroof,  T3/T4, ported E6, 255LPH, Kirban, Stinger Exhaust, MGW shifter, K&N, Gillis valve, BP1.5, PIMPx, Koni's
1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL, 390 6V, Big Solid cam, Headers,3.89's, 4 Speed, Vast and fast
1960 Ford Starliner, 292 Y Block, 312 4bbl intake, headers, 3 Speed, slow and low

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
I have had a Tri Ax in the 88 TC for nearly 20 years and I love it.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
88Slowbird likes this post

DaleLeo Offline
(09-12-2022, 02:42 AM)spittinfire Wrote: Over the years we've used a lot of shifters on the T5s during our rebuilds.  We've rebuilt hundreds if not thousands of them and retrofit them into all kinds of old cars.  We've always had good luck with Tri-Ax shifters.  You'll see them listed by a number of names such as Long like the one in my car.  They're simple, they're tough and work really well. 
The MGW you're looking at gives a little more adjustment for shifter location which is some cases can help or hurt.  In the case of just changing a shifter it can get in the way because it shifts the lever off the stock location.  It may be a great shifter, just something to think about. 

Keep in mind that most of your "short" throw shifters only shorten the handle, the internal transmission parts still have to move the same distance.  Yes, the shifter improves on feel through a tighter pivot point, shift stops and probably some centering springs but the actual throw comes from a shorter handle.  IF you cut an inch off the stock handle the throw would decrease greatly.
Thank You for this.  Very helpful

DaleLeo Offline
(09-12-2022, 10:43 AM)Kuch Wrote: I run the MGW "Comfort" shifter in my 88. It has a great solid feel to it and the shifts are smooth. I do like the fact that I can rotate the shifter handle around to move it closer to my seat. I am not a fan of those super short shifter handles so for me this fits well. Nice product

Thank You!