North American Turbocoupe Organization

Faulty door lock switch - removal
Coupedaddy Offline
The door lock switch / button (in the door panel) appears to have failed and is apparently stuck and drawing down my battery.  I want to pull it and check it out or replace it but I don't see a way to get it out without taking off the whole door panel.  It doesn't look like something I can just pry out with a screwdriver and I don't want to damage the panel.  Is there a trick to getting it out or do I have to take the panel off?
Cupddy

88turbomajor Offline
(06-08-2022, 01:05 AM)Coupedaddy Wrote: The door lock switch / button (in the door panel) appears to have failed and is apparently stuck and drawing down my battery.  I want to pull it and check it out or replace it but I don't see a way to get it out without taking off the whole door panel.  It doesn't look like something I can just pry out with a screwdriver and I don't want to damage the panel.  Is there a trick to getting it out or do I have to take the panel off?

From what I remember, that switch just pops out.  Gently pry the top up using a dull butter knife. But, if you don't want to do that, as Brad has stated, the arm rest is easy to remove and you'll have access to the door lock switch set.
1984 Mercury Cougar 5.0L LS Silver/Gray
(New 5.0L long block with E7 heads, HO cam with Flowmaster Super 10's)
Previous: 1988 Turbo Coupe

BradM Offline
You can take the arm rest/door pull off without removing the entire door panel. The arm rest pops straight up and out and will expose the screws for the rest of the door pull. Pretty easy.
1965 Mercury Comet Caliente; 1968 Mercury Monterey; 1969 F100 Ranger; 1982 Mustang; 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe; 2017 Police Interceptor

Coupedaddy Offline
Pried up nice and easy, popped right out! Thanks. And as expected, the switch is fried. Now I'm looking for a replacement.
Cupddy