North American Turbocoupe Organization

Another Switch/Connector meltdown….
87TbirdTc979 Offline
Okay so, I have had three different switches and their respective connectors and wiring meltdown and malfunction in the last three weeks. It started with the multi function/Dimmer Switch leaving me with no low beams. Then I Had my ignition switch do the same and leave my blower motor limping and no interior illumination. Well I got both of those replaced and working well. Now today I came home for lunch parked car and came inside, I went to return to Work and the car just . Determined that I had spark but no fuel at all at the rail and the pump would not kick on to prime or via jumping the eec test connector to ground and that the relay was still functional as well as the icrm which left the inertia switch. I pulled it and sure enough it’s melted down the wire and connector and measures out of spec unless you hold down the button rather hard. I will be replacing this in the am but I’m starting to get really concerned with these electrical problems and the potential for a fire to start. I plan on trying to go through and check out all the grounds and ensure they’re making split grounds. Not sure what could be causing this? Maybe the alternators overcharging due to a failing voltage regulator? Any ideas or things to investigate are appreciated. I would hate to have this thing burn up on me??!

vegas_ss Offline
What is the voltage reading at the battery terminals when running? Anything over 14.5v would be considered high.
1987 TC, 5sp, Boport Stage 3 Head/2.1 Cam
1996 Impala SS, DCM, Borla Cat Back, too much other stuff!!! (SOLD)
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 6M, 6.2l LS3, Kooks Long Tube, Hi Flo Cats, Mild Cam

87TbirdTc979 Offline
(06-03-2022, 08:26 PM)vegas_ss Wrote: What is the voltage reading at the battery terminals when running?  Anything over 14.5v would be considered high.

At idle she’s reading 14.3v 14.05 with the headlights and a/c on. I’m going to try to get a reading between 2-3k rpm, I’m thinking maybe it’s overcharging at cruising rpm, she’s been back and forth from here to Dallas several times and Austin a few aswell this past month.

spittinfire Offline
You're getting 14.3 at idle with you're highest draws turned on I would say the regulator could be your problem. What happens if you reach over and pull the throttle open a little? I bet it jumps substantially, it typically does.

87TbirdTc979 Offline
(06-06-2022, 11:44 AM)spittinfire Wrote: You're getting 14.3 at idle with you're highest draws turned on I would say the regulator could be your problem.  What happens if you reach over and pull the throttle open a little?  I bet it jumps substantially, it typically does.
I’m going to check it today, I haven’t had a chance to wrench on her very much since my last post.