North American Turbocoupe Organization

88 TC HVAC ECC Blower removal HELP
UncleJohnsBird Offline
I’m removing the blower motor to clean out an apparent mouse nest. I removed the 3 screws and pulled the blower rearward as far as I could but still can’t clear. Any tricks are appreciated!

88Slowbird Offline
(05-22-2022, 06:15 PM)UncleJohnsBird Wrote: I’m removing the blower motor to clean out an apparent mouse nest. I removed the 3 screws and pulled the blower rearward as far as I could but still can’t clear. Any tricks are appreciated!

do you have manual or electronic A/C controls? with the manual you can pull the blower box out easy but with the electronic you'll need to pull the dash to get it out
1985 SVO: Pro 5.0 Shifter, Boport valve springs, Manual boost controller, AEM wideband
1985 TC 5 Speed

UncleJohnsBird Offline
Sad 
(05-23-2022, 03:21 PM)88Slowbird Wrote:
(05-22-2022, 06:15 PM)UncleJohnsBird Wrote: I’m removing the blower motor to clean out an apparent mouse nest. I removed the 3 screws and pulled the blower rearward as far as I could but still can’t clear. Any tricks are appreciated!

do you have manual or electronic A/C controls? with the manual you can pull the blower box out easy but with the electronic you'll need to pull the dash to get it out

I have the electronic controls. Grrr.

gtbird Offline
Check this out for information on removal of dash:
https://www.coolcats.net/repairing/#heating
Lots of great info on this site, Cougars and Tbirds are very similar if not the same in most areas.
Be extremely careful removing speaker grills, do not try to pry them out around the edges or you’ll crack the brittle dash. Form a hook out of a piece of stiff wire and fish it down through one of the slots and pull up.
Good luck and have a little patience while performing this task.
While you’re involved in this, it would be wise to replace your heater core at this time. Get a Motorcraft part, not a cheap auto parts store brand.
1988 T/C Silver with red interior, fully loaded except for leather. 5 lug conversion with 97 Cobra wheels, Cobra 13" brakes up front, Mustang brakes out back, Koni adjustable shocks and struts, NOS Koni lowering springs . Maximum Motorsports control arms and caster/camber plates, subframe connectors.
SOLD September 2020. Will miss this car after 19 years of building/driving/showing....time for a new chapter in my life.

spittinfire Offline
(05-23-2022, 04:22 PM)UncleJohnsBird Wrote:
(05-23-2022, 03:21 PM)88Slowbird Wrote:

I have the electronic controls. Grrr.

You do not have to take the dash out, at least I didn't.  I have an 88 with electronic controls and I simply took out the screws and wiggled it around until it came out.  I remember having to play with it some but it did come out and it went right back in the same way.  I had a mouse in mine apparently too and the wheel was so full I was amazed it moved any air at all.