North American Turbocoupe Organization

Loose steering wheel
SHOcoupe Offline
Been having this issue since I bought my TC over a year ago, never really thought much about it until now. It's winter, and I don't want this to be something that kills me or leaves me stranded in the cold...

My steering wheel whobbles in every direction (up.down.left.right). It works perfectly fine, there is no play in the actual steering, just in the wheel itself when you press on it.

Anyone else have this problem, common fix?
88 TC, FMIC, GT35-1 .70 A/R, 42lb Injectors, MS2 p&p, Custom upper manifold, junk heap Stinger header, 3 inch exhaust, Accufab FPR, Bo-Port 1.9 cam, Oversized valves, ported head, Stage 3 clutch, 22psi.

HCOR Offline
xcheck to see if the tilt bolts are loose. i f I remember correctly they are 13mm, if you pull the covers off you should be able to see it clearly what is loose.
only memories

vinnietbird Offline
As Hcor said,pull the steering column covers, and I think you have to remove the signal stalk as well and behind that,there are,as Hcor stated,two bolts that need some Loctite and tightening.
1988 Thunderbird. No details will be given or spoken of.

Robert Camp Offline
Posting Freak
Without doubt that's it. Mine did the same until I went under the covers and tightened those two fasteners and then it was solid. Like said you have to remove the switch assembly on the left side.
Robert Camp
'86 Medium Regatta Blue TC, 5-speed, original owner.

Kev Offline
Posting Freak
Yep, mine used to be loose too. It seems like the bolts were torx heads? It's been a few years, and I'm not sure why I think that, it just seems right. Tightened my steering wheel right up with those little bolts. Go for it!!
Kev
1988 TC 5spd

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
I also seem to remember they are Torx bolts.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

57fan Offline
Seems like we all had the loose steering wheel issue at one time or another. Definitely use Lock-tite on the screws...
87 Turbo, 5 spd, full loaded with sun roof.

vinnietbird Offline
Mine were not Torx. I THINK they were 13mm.
1988 Thunderbird. No details will be given or spoken of.