North American Turbocoupe Organization

a237 Cam question?
Super85turbocoupe Offline
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the a237 rollor cam. How streetable is this cam? I'm still running the stock cam in my 85 TC w/the stock T3 garret (.60/.48 a/r) set too 18 psi, AFPR set to 42 psi, intank 255 lph pump, and a FM intercooler, Ported E6 manifold, and mildly ported intake, and a 3" DP and dual 2.5" exhaust w/dynomax race bullits, I'm still running the C3 auto, but i am swapping in a T5, the car also has a '87 TC 8.8 raer w/3.55 gears, It also has a Big VAM unit and a K&N filter up front.

I'm also going to swap in a T3 garret (.60/.63 a/r) i got from a friend when i swap in the T% tranny.

If anyone could give me any info on the a237 cam or a different cam for my car i'd be greatful, I want to make lots of power, but i need to keep the car somewhat daily driven and streetable. Thanks

Pete D Offline
Administrator
It idles a little rough, you will lose 2-3 " of vacuum. It's streetable but doesn't come alive til about 3K, then it pulls all the way to red line, hard. Seems to work best with 4* advance on the cam

------------------
NATO Member. it's not a vice, it's an obsession
Good judgement comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
88 TC X 2, 86 SVO, mods list at
http://www.turbotbird.com/showroom/pd_88tc.htm
Pete Dunham

Super85turbocoupe Offline
Cool, would it help any putting 3.73 gears in w/ the T5 and the .63 a/r turbo with this cam? Are there any other cams that'll make lots of power also and streetable? And with that i mensioned done to the car, what else would you recomend doing to it? Thanks

GT350R Offline
I have run them in a few different motors (I have 3 of them)

I like them. Passes emissions with no problems. Good drivability in low RPM's. Like Pete said, the do have a lumpy idle.

I run mine at 2 degrees advanced. I had run at -2,-4 and it was way too high in the rpm's before the power came on. When it did if felt like the car was going to rip apart.
I ran straight up at first, then after tring retarded went back to 0. Then Barry Dean recommended +2 to +4 to me. I tried +2 and it has stayed. Brought my power band down about 500 RPM and I lost very little on the top if any at all. Comes n smoother now.

I have never run one in a stock valve head though. I was planning on tring soon, but have not done it yet. Even then it will be ported up pretty good.

All were run with T3's.

------------------
GT350R
#1978 20th 2.3 Turbo T-top
#3608 20th 2.3 Turbo T-top
WAY too many TC's and other mustangs!

My Garage
GT350R
(sold Sad ) 87 5speed, Motorsport head, A237@+2, T3@20psi, gutted or ported everything & all the typical junk.
84 Gt350 2.3T T-top
84 Turbo GT 418rwhp

My Garage

natmac3 Offline
Administrator
I have been trying to find a vendor- but am having either a lapse or brain fart- and all my attempts at "searching" are returning fruitlessly.

Does anyone know a couple reputable dealers?

I'd like to look into this further.
1987tc

Pete D Offline
Administrator
Tiny Avenger used to have them (A237) but I think I heard they may not have any more.
Somewhere, somebody posted which Company made these for Ford (I think) but I can't remember which company, maybe Crane.

------------------
NATO Member. it's not a vice, it's an obsession
Good judgement comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
88 TC X 2, 86 SVO, mods list at
http://www.turbotbird.com/showroom/pd_88tc.htm
Pete Dunham

cheapbird Offline
Yeah the Crane specs are identicle to the FMS.

motormenace Offline
i sell the A237's for $220 plus shipping (i'll do $210 for members). it usaully take a week to a week and a half for them to come in. then, i send them off.

------------------
86 turbo coupe (14.9),2 86 2R SVO's, 90 mustang GT, 69 mustang coupe

...so you have a V8...isn't that cute...

[This message has been edited by motormenace (edited 05-09-2003).]

[This message has been edited by motormenace (edited 05-09-2003).]
86 turbo coupe (14.12 at 15 psi. sleeper) *gone*

natmac3 Offline
Administrator
That's right, I remember you saying you could get parts... duh

I'll keep that in mind...

Can you do a complete kit w/ followers?
1987tc

motormenace Offline
i can, but it's cheaper to use a set of ranger roller followers. i double check the price.

------------------
86 turbo coupe (14.9),2 86 2R SVO's, 90 mustang GT, 69 mustang coupe

86 turbo coupe (14.12 at 15 psi. sleeper) *gone*