North American Turbocoupe Organization

Stereo Upgrade...2022.
spittinfire Offline
(04-05-2022, 10:52 AM)anasazi4st Wrote:
(04-04-2022, 01:49 PM)spittinfire Wrote:
(04-03-2022, 07:19 PM)anasazi4st Wrote:
(03-24-2022, 05:54 PM)spittinfire Wrote: I personally love the sound of my factory premium sound system.  Everything works and the speakers are still in good shape so I keep on rocking.  I would love to find some NOS speakers for it but I know that's a long shot.

If I can point something out here: no you DO NOT want NOS speakers. The point is, over the course of 30 years the original paper cones are pretty much shot—likely, dried out and brittle. THIS IS 99% THE CASE with any of those old speakers. It’s a natural thing—back then, they weren’t meant to survive this long. The cones of modern speakers are made from polypropylene, which will likely survive all of us.

It would be kind of like buying an NOS head gasket or something similar, from 30 years ago. Why would you take that chance when more modern durable ones are available?

As far as you “lov[ing] the sound of the factory premium sound system”, that’s purely subjective. All I can say is—I felt the exact same way. Now, I see the huge difference—and I am very pleased with the results.

I understand what you're saying and I don't disagree with you.  I've put together a few car audio systems over the years and seen/heard the changes over the same time.  I studied music in college along with sound recording/production so I get it.  At the same time I'm not a fan at all of digital music and I find that a lot of newer equipment doesn't have the same warm sound that older equipment does but as you mentioned that's subjective.       

The speakers in my car are in great shape and somehow managed to survive the last 34 years without damage.  Every function of my equalizer and radio work without flaw, even the tape deck plays beautifully.  I've actually been buying up old cassette tapes when I find them.  I enjoy the sound on most of the music I listen to in my car so respectfully, yes, I DO want a set of NOS speakers if I could find them.    

Alrighty then!

Well, that’s the purpose of an open forum, to ask questions and gain information. While I might not completely agree with you, you do make good points and I respect your opinion.

I recently purchased a vintage turntable so that I could more fully appreciated my vinyl record collection. The turntable I used for years eventually wore out the stylus and I’ve discovered that it’s no longer available. It’s been years since some of that vinyl has been appreciated—I probably have a couple hundred records in my collection, and I am looking forward to starting that endeavour.

You can read here my efforts to try and salvage my OEM stereo setup, after the head unit broke down. For me, eventually it was too much and I went with a more modern arrangement.

I have boxes of records that are collecting dust in my closet because my turntable died, then we moved and I haven't been had the chance to put together another set up.  I also have 3 very active children now and records with crazy kids don't always mix.  I'm hoping to move it all into our basement where I've made a small work bench/escape area for myself.  Hang a few speakers from the ceiling and enjoy music the way it was intended.  

If the stereo in my car didn't work so well I would have probably be looked into options to update it but now that I've enjoyed it and it's taken me back to my childhood I'll probably try to save it should it ever crap out.

88chickentc Offline
I apologize if this was covered in the string somewhere G-Rage, but why can't you use the OE amp? Or did that fail, too?
1931 Deluxe Coupe
1949 Club Coupe
1951 F-1
1971 Torino GT Convertible
1988 Thunderbird Turbocoupe

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
By any modern standards the OEM Premium Sound amplifier is pathetic. Output is something like 4 Watts RMS per channel, which is WAY less than even a cheap to mid priced aftermarket head unit. Plus, even with a mid priced aftermarket head unit, you typically get a CD player, USB port, ability to receive sat radio, and 4 to 8 times the power output the POS premium sound amp.

Car audio has come a LONG LONG way in the last 35 years.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
88chickentc likes this post

anasazi4st Offline
(04-07-2022, 12:33 PM)MJeff K Wrote: By any modern standards the OEM Premium Sound amplifier is pathetic. Output is something like 4 Watts RMS per channel, which is WAY less than even a cheap to mid priced aftermarket head unit. Plus, even with a mid priced aftermarket head unit, you typically get a CD player, USB port, ability to receive sat radio, and 4 to 8 times the power output the POS premium sound amp.

Car audio has come a LONG LONG way in the last 35 years.

Agreed, Jeff. For me it was the CD/DVD player, USB ports, navigation system and back up camera that helped change my mind—and, that glorious sound! I remember my stereo USED to sound like that.
Another proud dues-paying member.

1987 Turbo Coupe w/T5OD, 8.8 axle, grey smoke; most options. Got it in 1991 with 41K miles: 3 turbos, 2 heater cores, 3 T5OD full rebuilds, 6 clutches, 1 head gasket, 2 Teves II ABS units, etc. later....
88chickentc likes this post