North American Turbocoupe Organization

Worst day of my life
Adrock Offline
    So two nights ago my work van with all my tools in it (I do HVAC refrigeration/ac) was stolen. That's a killer. That's how I make my living...then 5 hours later I parked my 87 mint condition tbird and saw smoke from under the hood. I popped the hood and .......fire ball.  The car is a total loss. Here are before and after pics as well as from my dash cam...I only had liability ins...idk what to do..I'm still in shock...not many options considering my financial predicament.....I may have to part it out. The body kit is awesome and matches the factory paint....

gtbird Offline
Sad 
Sorry to hear of your loss.
1988 T/C Silver with red interior, fully loaded except for leather. 5 lug conversion with 97 Cobra wheels, Cobra 13" brakes up front, Mustang brakes out back, Koni adjustable shocks and struts, NOS Koni lowering springs . Maximum Motorsports control arms and caster/camber plates, subframe connectors.
SOLD September 2020. Will miss this car after 19 years of building/driving/showing....time for a new chapter in my life.

88turbomajor Offline
Very sorry to hear about your loss. Very sad indeed.
1984 Mercury Cougar 5.0L LS Silver/Gray
(New 5.0L long block with E7 heads, HO cam with Flowmaster Super 10's)
Previous: 1988 Turbo Coupe

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
So sorry to hear about the fire. It looks pretty bad, but may be fixable. Aftermarket wiring harness is available.

If you do fix it or get another classic car, consider classic car insurance from one of the many companies out there. Super cheap compared to DD insurance, and coverage is amazing (agreed value if totaled, zero deductable glass, body repair, etc, etc.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
G-Rage likes this post

BigJake Offline
I've been there too. Get some rest then take a look to see if it's fuel or electrical fire. How's the interior, looks like a master cylinder mod now.
Keep your fingers crossed may not be as bad.
1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe 5 speed Boosting 25 PSI with Boport/Stinger parts !

88turbomajor Offline
Here is a link to an engine..
https://turboford.org/thread-new-engine
1984 Mercury Cougar 5.0L LS Silver/Gray
(New 5.0L long block with E7 heads, HO cam with Flowmaster Super 10's)
Previous: 1988 Turbo Coupe

Kuch Offline
Oh Dam, that really sucks, my sympathies for you. I always have concerns with a fire in the car, and always have an extinguisher with me. With the burn marks in the back of the hood, it looks like electrical around that huge wire bundle on the firewall. Agree with above, give it some time, go through it and see what it really needs. I got my first car that had an engine fire and rebuilt it for my driving test, had to replace all the wiring from the dash forward as well as windshield, fenders, trim. It was a 64 Galaxie, so less wiring, but doable. Good luck
1988 Turbo Coupe, Black/Black, 5 Speed, Moonroof,  T3/T4, ported E6, 255LPH, Kirban, Stinger Exhaust, MGW shifter, K&N, Gillis valve, BP1.5, PIMPx, Koni's
1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL, 390 6V, Big Solid cam, Headers,3.89's, 4 Speed, Vast and fast
1960 Ford Starliner, 292 Y Block, 312 4bbl intake, headers, 3 Speed, slow and low

spittinfire Offline
That really sucks, I'm sorry to hear all that. If you need parts, I'm parting an 87 right now.

Mikey97D Offline
That sucks both on the work tools and your car.
Sorry to see this.

On the bright side, the title won't be marked totalled since you only had liability on the car. If you decide to fix or sell.
1988 TC, 5 spd, Stinger 3" Exhaust, Schneider Roller Cam, -4° Cam Pulley, Cone Filter, Gilles Boost Control Valve set at 17 psi, Walbro 255 lph, CHE Rear Lower and Upper Control Arms, Braided Brake Lines, Hawk HPS 5.0 Front and HPS (F) Rear, CRES Inserts in front calipers, and '93 Cobra Wheels with General 235/50R17 Tires.   

firebirdparts Offline
I am so sorry.