North American Turbocoupe Organization

Lowest Mileage TC
valleybird Offline
Since acquiring my '88 TC this past summer with less than 4,000 original miles, I was pretty sure I might have one of the lowest-mileage, if not the lowest mileage TC on the planet. Well, just when I was feeling pretty good about it I ran across one for sale in Michigan at Vanguard Motor Sales. It is virtually identical to mine except for a couple of things I'm not sure how to explain. First of all, it is claimed to have only 1,250 original miles! After viewing the video, I believe it. Mine and the one in Michigan are both Mach I versions. Mine is a special-order Bright Red and the Michigan car is red, but not the same as mine. It also has the same rust holes in the bottom of the mufflers, likely from lack of letting the engine warm up to burn off the condensation.

Here are two bigger differences I noticed. The first is that mine has black (possibly powdercoated?) tail pipes from the mufflers back. The Michigan car has aluminized pipes. I know mine have never been off the car. Second, the Michigan car has a spoiler on the rear deck. I can find no reference to a spoiler being an option. The video is interesting and worth a look. It was posted on the dealer's web site on September 29 of this year. Oh, and the asking price is only $45,000! (That's with 3 zeros.) Maybe mine has gone up in value?

BradM Offline
Most low mileage '87-'88 TC's have been selling for $11k-14k during the past 2 years on bringatrailer. The Bill Elliot Edition went for $20k. $45k ain't happening Smile
1965 Mercury Comet Caliente; 1968 Mercury Monterey; 1969 F100 Ranger; 1982 Mustang; 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe; 2017 Police Interceptor

valleybird Offline
(12-31-2021, 11:01 PM)BradM Wrote: Most low mileage '87-'88 TC's have been selling for $11k-14k during the past 2 years on bringatrailer. The Bill Elliot Edition went for $20k. $45k ain't happening Smile

Yeah, I agree. The dealer could only wish...

spittinfire Offline
I have grown to greatly dislike many of the "dealer" of classic cars. Most of them take cars on consignment so they have nothing invested and then they detail the car out and throw an outrageous price on it. Then they wait(some charge storage to the current owner during this time) and wait and wait until the right person comes along. Eventually they will find someone who just has to have what they're selling and they'll get close to their price.
Then every guy selling his car uses that sale as a reference and it drives the cost of the cars up to a level they really don't deserve. I understand that everyone wants to make money and markets ebb and flow but it's frustrating for the enthusiast.

Now, this particular car...even if it is the lowest mileage turbo coupe left I think they are going to have a very hard time getting $45k.

JT Offline
Posting Freak
(12-31-2021, 08:55 PM)valleybird Wrote: Since acquiring my '88 TC this past summer with less than 4,000 original miles, I was pretty sure I might have one of the lowest-mileage, if not the lowest mileage TC on the planet. Well, just when I was feeling pretty good about it I ran across one for sale in Michigan at Vanguard Motor Sales. It is virtually identical to mine except for a couple of things I'm not sure how to explain. First of all, it is claimed to have only 1,250 original miles! After viewing the video, I believe it. Mine and the one in Michigan are both Mach I versions. Mine is a special-order Bright Red and the Michigan car is red, but not the same as mine. It also has the same rust holes in the bottom of the mufflers, likely from lack of letting the engine warm up to burn off the condensation.

Here are two bigger differences I noticed. The first is that mine has black (possibly powdercoated?) tail pipes from the mufflers back. The Michigan car has aluminized pipes. I know mine have never been off the car. Second, the Michigan car has a spoiler on the rear deck. I can find no reference to a spoiler being an option. The video is interesting and worth a look. It was posted on the dealer's web site on September 29 of this year. Oh, and the asking price is only $45,000! (That's with 3 zeros.) Maybe mine has gone up in value?

What do you mean by the car not being the same red? Based on photos?

The spoiler and speedometer are not factory. Notice the speedometer is the 140MPH Ford Motorsport unit. The seller believes it may be part of the "Mach 1" package, which is not correct.

I'm sure there's the saying that there's always someone that has lower mileage car, has more money, is faster, etc.

ryandavkd Offline
Just saw the Thunderbird you're referring to on Vanguard's site, extremely clean car and what i wish mine looked like haha. Anyone have any clue what type of spoiler it has on the rear? Or anywhere I would be able to obtain on like it, looking to buy one for mine.

valleybird Offline
(01-03-2022, 11:58 PM)JT Wrote:
(12-31-2021, 08:55 PM)valleybird Wrote: Since acquiring my '88 TC this past summer with less than 4,000 original miles, I was pretty sure I might have one of the lowest-mileage, if not the lowest mileage TC on the planet. Well, just when I was feeling pretty good about it I ran across one for sale in Michigan at Vanguard Motor Sales. It is virtually identical to mine except for a couple of things I'm not sure how to explain. First of all, it is claimed to have only 1,250 original miles! After viewing the video, I believe it. Mine and the one in Michigan are both Mach I versions. Mine is a special-order Bright Red and the Michigan car is red, but not the same as mine. It also has the same rust holes in the bottom of the mufflers, likely from lack of letting the engine warm up to burn off the condensation.

The spoiler and speedometer are not factory. Notice the speedometer is the 140MPH Ford Motorsport unit. The seller believes it may be part of the "Mach 1" package, which is not correct.

I'm sure there's the saying that there's always someone that has lower mileage car, has more money, is faster, etc.
Mine is a special-order Bright Red, one of 499 in that color for the '88 model year, according to the Marti Report for my car. The one at Vanguard appears to be the standard red (darker).

JT Offline
Posting Freak
(01-06-2022, 08:25 PM)valleybird Wrote:

Mine is a special-order Bright Red, one of 499 in that color for the '88 model year, according to the Marti Report for my car. The one at Vanguard appears to be the standard red (darker).

No, that's not the Medium Red (26).

The Mach 1 was, in part, a marketing promotion that was primarily about a special color. This car is bright red just as yours. That red was the only red available under the Mach 1 promotion.

I emailed the seller asking for a picture of the tag. I will update when/if it's given and I guarantee the color code will match yours from your Marti Report.

JT Offline
Posting Freak
(01-06-2022, 08:25 PM)valleybird Wrote:

The seller, nicely, provided the tag. The color code on their car is 21 (Bright Red). Your car (last VIN digits 1234) has the same 21 Bright Red color code.

Cleven Offline
Im sure its some tbird stored away in someone's collection with next to zero miles