North American Turbocoupe Organization

Car didnt like to be pushed lol
Cleven Offline
Well iv had the car a couple months now and tonight thinking all my engine issues where fixed id actually push it a little...... Yeah she didn't like it to much lol. Took a real good look and come to find out the old owner used blue gasket on the intake elbow, possibly put in wrong fuel injectors, and wouldn't surprise me if the Fuel Pressure regulator and fuel pump are wrong too. No Biggy I found some good brown tops, gonna replace the fuel pump with a Mustang 255 walbro I have, and buy a fuel pressure regulator. Seen a adjustable regulator with gauge outlet I am eyeing.

Attached Files Image(s)

Mikey97D likes this post

anasazi4st Offline
(12-26-2021, 04:16 AM)Cleven Wrote: Well iv had the car a couple months now and tonight thinking all my engine issues where fixed id actually push it a little...... Yeah she didn't like it to much lol. Took a real good look and come to find out the old owner used blue gasket on the intake elbow, possibly put in wrong fuel injectors, and wouldn't surprise me if the Fuel Pressure regulator and fuel pump are wrong too. No Biggy I found some good brown tops, gonna replace the fuel pump with a Mustang 255 walbro I have, and buy a fuel pressure regulator. Seen a adjustable regulator with gauge outlet I am eyeing.

You’re correct, the injectors are wrong. And, not sure if the blue gasket would make all that much of a difference on the Intake (it’s just a paper gasket); but you are wise in your approach. I MUST CAUTION you though: thoroughly test a component before moving on to the next one. I’ve done what you are attempting—before making SEVERAL changes CAREFULLY NOTE what happened with the first, etc. Otherwise you can’t be certain what exactly the problem was.

Example: You replace components A, B and C, all at the same time. Problem is fixed. QUESTION: which one fixed it? Without removing each and seeing if the problem comes back (that’s not a guarantee either), you can’t know which one solved the problem.
Another proud dues-paying member.

1987 Turbo Coupe w/T5OD, 8.8 axle, grey smoke; most options. Got it in 1991 with 41K miles: 3 turbos, 2 heater cores, 3 T5OD full rebuilds, 6 clutches, 1 head gasket, 2 Teves II ABS units, etc. later....

Cleven Offline
Yeah the gaskets are just $3 so wouldn't hurt at all to replace. Not at all upset about it I got the car knowing it needed work. Actually it needs less work than I thought. Just sitting out in the field for 10 years got to a lot of stuff and worn it out. Main thig Iwas worried about was inside the block being rusty. Replaced the radiator and gave it a full flush. was yucky for about a minute than the rest clear.

anasazi4st Offline
(12-26-2021, 11:55 PM)Cleven Wrote: Yeah the gaskets are just $3 so wouldn't hurt at all to replace. Not at all upset about it I got the car knowing it needed work. Actually it needs less work than I thought. Just sitting out in the field for 10 years got to a lot of stuff and worn it out. Main thig Iwas worried about was inside the block being rusty. Replaced the radiator and gave it a full flush. was yucky for about a minute than the rest clear.

There is a product called Evapo-Rust that I can’t say enough good things about. It uses “chelation”, a chemical reaction that removes rust and restores ferrous metal to its original state. There’s no harmful chemicals, just a chemical reaction, and can be reused.

Every other year I drain the cooling system and refill it with pure Evapo-Rust and leave it in for around 12 hours. When I drain and flush it this awful looking black stuff comes out—that’s the rust. Look at the inside of the block behind the thermostat housing and you’ll see shiny metal that was once rust.

Yes I know coolant/anti-freeze like Prestone should prevent such rust, and it kind of does, but my experience is that this is effective just in case the Prestone doesn’t work as well.
Another proud dues-paying member.

1987 Turbo Coupe w/T5OD, 8.8 axle, grey smoke; most options. Got it in 1991 with 41K miles: 3 turbos, 2 heater cores, 3 T5OD full rebuilds, 6 clutches, 1 head gasket, 2 Teves II ABS units, etc. later....