North American Turbocoupe Organization

KYB shocks or Koni shocks
BabyBlueBird Offline
I currently have KYB Front and rear shocks on the car and I see alot of people on the forums run KONI shocks all around. Does anyone have experience with running both on there car or know the benefits of the Koni’s over the KYB shocks. 

Bought the car with KYB shocks.

spittinfire Offline
Which KYB do you have and which Koni are you considering?

I would prefer Koni over KYB simply because I’ve had better luck with Koni. Koni has a good history of making performance shocks. That said, I’m fairly certain both are twin tube, I know the Konis are.
If you want a monotube(the best shocks are) Bilstein is the only option I know of for our cars.

I’m getting ready to lower my car and I’m going to run Koni yellows because I like the adjustability and I got a great deal on them from a fellow member here.

Kuch Offline
I started with a set of front and rear KYB struts and shocks (Excel G's) on my 88 TC and did not like them. the fronts felt too soft and floaty compared to my original PRC struts on firm. The next year I installed a full set of Koni STR-T struts and shocks for an SN-95 Mustang and the improvement was immediately felt. I did not want to spend the extra money on the Koni Yellows, but those would be nice with the adjustability of them, but I am impressed with the STR-T series from them. No complaints
1988 Turbo Coupe, Black/Black, 5 Speed, Moonroof,  T3/T4, ported E6, 255LPH, Kirban, Stinger Exhaust, MGW shifter, K&N, Gillis valve, BP1.5, PIMPx, Koni's
1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL, 390 6V, Big Solid cam, Headers,3.89's, 4 Speed, Vast and fast
1960 Ford Starliner, 292 Y Block, 312 4bbl intake, headers, 3 Speed, slow and low

BabyBlueBird Offline
I have what looks to be KYB gas a just front and rear shocks. I have to agree with Kuch with the KYB feel like they make the car float when going over bumps. Just wanted some insight, I figured KYB was a solid brand and the shocks they make fit more of a stock right feel.

spittinfire Offline
I don't think there is anything wrong with KYB shocks and I've used them on other platforms but if you are looking for more of a performance shock I would look at Koni or Bilstein.

Kuch Offline
Also, be aware that when installing SN-95 shocks in the back, you will need to install a longer bracket to fit as the stock SN-95 stuff is shorter than our Birds. I got mine from this site, well made and solid.
https://tbirdcougarparts.com/
1988 Turbo Coupe, Black/Black, 5 Speed, Moonroof,  T3/T4, ported E6, 255LPH, Kirban, Stinger Exhaust, MGW shifter, K&N, Gillis valve, BP1.5, PIMPx, Koni's
1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL, 390 6V, Big Solid cam, Headers,3.89's, 4 Speed, Vast and fast
1960 Ford Starliner, 292 Y Block, 312 4bbl intake, headers, 3 Speed, slow and low

spittinfire Offline
And if you plan to lower the car consider the Fox body Mustang struts.