North American Turbocoupe Organization

Ride Control Shocks value
spittinfire Offline
I'm curious as to what most people would consider a fair price for a used set of working ride control shocks.  In good shape, not perfect, 140k miles on the car and I have no reason to believe these have been replaced.  I realize with something like this it all depends on who is looking but it's so hard to even find a set for sale it's hard to know where to start.

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
I got around 270K miles on my original PRC struts / shocks. They were nearly 100% shot by 270K. Mine were still good by 140K, so yours probably have some life left to them.
in
As a reference point, I paid $500 for a brand new in the box set of PRC shocks / struts back in 2003. Finially put them in this past spring. Major difference in ride quality and handling.

I would guess yours might be worth $200+ to someone who really wants them, but that is just a wild guess.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

spittinfire Offline
I've got Konis to go on the car but now that I've gotten them working they're kind of fun to play with. I'll probably just hold on to them for that kind of money because odds are I won't be able to replace them.

anasazi4st Offline
(09-15-2021, 07:10 PM)spittinfire Wrote: I've got Konis to go on the car but now that I've gotten them working they're kind of fun to play with.  I'll probably just hold on to them for that kind of money because odds are I won't be able to replace them.

To echo what Jeff said—I’m at almost 290,000 with the original PRC shocks. I know they should have gone bad by now, but they still seem okay—of course, if I had brand new ones and put those on I would probably notice the difference—but using the “PUSH” test where you push a corner of the car up and down I get maybe 1 1/2 bounces, if that.

Watch for leakage—when they start to leak they are about done, so I have been told.

I have a front set with (I was told) about 50,000 miles on them that I got in 2002 from eBay that I am hanging on to—if i recall correctly I paid $75 for them. Even used ones on eBay go for upwards of $300, but are very rare.
Another proud dues-paying member.

1987 Turbo Coupe w/T5OD, 8.8 axle, grey smoke; most options. Got it in 1991 with 41K miles: 3 turbos, 2 heater cores, 3 T5OD full rebuilds, 6 clutches, 1 head gasket, 2 Teves II ABS units, etc. later....