North American Turbocoupe Organization

Dash bulb for Headlight Bezel...
vegas_ss Offline
What is the type of bulb used to illuminate the headlight bezel?  It is quite tiny and I can't see the number and I am unable to locate it in the shop manual.  I noticed the old bulb was out, then removed and replaced it and it started working, then would go out when installed in the bezel.  Now it won't work at all!  It may be the contact wire on the bulb as it doesn't appear to be a short in the wiring or bulb housing (wiggle test), but I can't really tell and would like to try a replacement bulb if they are available.
1987 TC, 5sp, Boport Stage 3 Head/2.1 Cam
1996 Impala SS, DCM, Borla Cat Back, too much other stuff!!! (SOLD)
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 6M, 6.2l LS3, Kooks Long Tube, Hi Flo Cats, Mild Cam

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
If you are talking about the bulb that illuminates the blue indicator in the cluster when the high beam is on, it is just a #194 bulb, same as all the other cluster bulbs.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

vegas_ss Offline
I was referring to the bulb that illuminates the bezel by the headlamp switch and lights up the headlamp text on the switch panel cover

88Slowbird Offline
I'm pretty sure they're #74 bulbs
1985 SVO: Pro 5.0 Shifter, Boport valve springs, Manual boost controller, AEM wideband
1985 TC 5 Speed

vegas_ss Offline
(07-26-2021, 06:44 PM)88Slowbird Wrote: I'm pretty sure they're #74 bulbs

Yes Indeed!  Picked up a pair at O'Reilly's and worked fine!  

Thanks 88Slowbird!

88Slowbird likes this post

anasazi4st Offline
(07-27-2021, 12:06 AM)vegas_ss Wrote:
(07-26-2021, 06:44 PM)88Slowbird Wrote: I'm pretty sure they're #74 bulbs

Yes Indeed!  Picked up a pair at O'Reilly's and worked fine!  

Thanks 88Slowbird!

Sorry, but if I might be so bold…why not switch to LEDs?

I have a complete list of the LEDs #s you’ll need to switch just about everything over from incandescent. (All but things like the OEM clock, whatever illuminates the digits for the EATC, etc. But most everything else.)

You should be able to do it for way under $100. The headlamps might be tricky as they were $40 but I think they’re gone up.

Jeff warned a few years ago to watch out for Chinese junk; try and get the Sylvania ones. I’ve had mine now for over 2 years and have had ZERO issues. I got mine through Amazon and I think most if not all are made in China. I think the quality of the manufacture has gone up considerably. I know I tried a few about 10 years ago and was very unhappy with the product quality and lifespan.

They run so much cooler and use a fraction of the electricity.

You won’t believe the difference. I won’t ever go back.
Another proud dues-paying member.

1987 Turbo Coupe w/T5OD, 8.8 axle, grey smoke; most options. Got it in 1991 with 41K miles: 3 turbos, 2 heater cores, 3 T5OD full rebuilds, 6 clutches, 1 head gasket, 2 Teves II ABS units, etc. later....

vegas_ss Offline
I was considering changing to LED, I did change the Headights a while ago but decided not to on the instrument panel as some of reviews I were reading seemed to indicate they don't last long and I didn't want to have to take the cluster out again if they may not last. I did get a box of 10 incandescent Sylvania 194's at O'Reilly's for under $10 and changed out most of the instrument cluster bulbs until I ran out. Polished up the cluster clear panel with some Mequiar's plastic polish and it looks very nice.

I'm going to build a SS IVR eventually and may try the Sylvania LED's out then. Did you just swap the 5 cluster illumination lights or also do the turn signal, high beam and other warning lights?

anasazi4st Offline
(07-27-2021, 03:35 PM)vegas_ss Wrote: I was considering changing to LED, I did change the Headights a while ago but decided not to on the instrument panel as some of reviews I were reading seemed to indicate they don't last long and I didn't want to have to take the cluster out again if they may not last.  I did get a box of 10 incandescent Sylvania 194's at O'Reilly's for under $10 and changed out most of the instrument cluster bulbs until I ran out.  Polished up the cluster clear panel with some Mequiar's plastic polish and it looks very nice. 

I'm going to build a SS IVR eventually and may try the Sylvania LED's out then.  Did you just swap the 5 cluster illumination lights or also do the turn signal, high beam and other warning lights?

*Everything* is swapped out. All incandescent lamps that I could access have been switched to LEDs. As I mentioned, some are not accessible—the clock and whatever powers the digits of the EATC are a couple of notable exceptions, there’s probably a few more (for example, thinking about it I don’t know if I changed out the tiny bulb that lights the ignition lock on the steering column).

But yes, all the IP lights—both illumination and warning ones—are switched over. Also map lights, dome light, opera lights, ashtray light, under-hood light, trunk light, etc.

I’ve had no trouble with my setup, and for many months I was driving to work in the dark early morning hours, so I had most all the lights on.

The only real concern is that many of the LEDs have to be inserted correctly or they won’t work. The POLARITY must be observed, as the instructions say. This is simply a matter of removing the LED and rotating it 180 degrees and reinstalling.

I’ve had no issues with dependability. Of course, read the reviews for a particular product to see if others have had issues with it, but that’s just common sense.
Another proud dues-paying member.

1987 Turbo Coupe w/T5OD, 8.8 axle, grey smoke; most options. Got it in 1991 with 41K miles: 3 turbos, 2 heater cores, 3 T5OD full rebuilds, 6 clutches, 1 head gasket, 2 Teves II ABS units, etc. later....