North American Turbocoupe Organization

My '88
foxhound1972 Offline

I've been wanting one of these since 1987. I was a sophomore in high school, well it only took 34 years but I have one. A few quick questions for you all. Other than a bigger wheel selection, what was the reason you did the 5 lug swap? I plan on driving it as much as possible in the summer time. I'm not looking to make a race car out of it, but what are your favorite upgrades, mods? She will need tires soon and I'm trying to decide what my best options are. More to follow, Troy.
Mikey97D likes this post

BradM Offline
Welcome and congrats! I recently went through the same decision process. Other than more wheel selection with 5 lugs, the 4 lugs are just fine for the 2.3L. I lowered mine and went with “1995 Mustang Cobra R” style wheels (17x8; +19mm offset) from LMR.

Attached Files Image(s)

1965 Mercury Comet Caliente; 1968 Mercury Monterey; 1969 F100 Ranger; 1982 Mustang; 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe; 2017 Police Interceptor
Mikey97D and foxhound1972 like this post

Mikey97D Offline
There's better brake options for the 5 lug swap (Cobra brakes are probably the least expensive for increase over stock).

Great color! Mine has the red interior.
[Image: udAtan9l.jpg]
1988 TC, 5 spd, Stinger 3" Exhaust, Schneider Roller Cam, -4° Cam Pulley, Cone Filter, Gilles Boost Control Valve set at 17 psi, Walbro 255 lph, CHE Rear Lower and Upper Control Arms, Braided Brake Lines, Hawk HPS 5.0 Front and HPS (F) Rear, CRES Inserts in front calipers, and '93 Cobra Wheels with General 235/50R17 Tires.   

foxhound1972 Offline
Here are some more pics.

Attached Files Image(s)

Mikey97D likes this post

foxhound1972 Offline
So this car is pretty much stock, the performance of the car is adequate. I'm wanting a really good driving and riding car. I have documentation that shows cars been driven 50,000 in the last 29 years. I'm looking at new rims and tires, shocks, struts and springs. When I have the alternator off to do the 3g upgrade, I think I'll pull distributor and upgrade it as well. New plugs, wires, cap and rotor I'm thinking also. What also should I do in your honest opinion? What are your recommendations on shocks, struts and springs? I'm really not looking to lower it any. I'm 6'3" and I don't want to have to roll out of the car to get out. Has anyone move the track on the seat for more leg room?
These are the rims I'm looking at:

What tires are you running? I'm looking at the General G-MAX RS 245/45R17 or the [b]BFGoodrich [/b]g-Force Comp-2 A/S PLUS. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Mikey97D Offline
I would suggest keeping the stock distributor, There's a lot of threads in here about the gear/thrust bearing on the distributor failing that drives the oil pump. OEM is the best.

Yes, give it a tune up. Ford Motorsports for the wires, cap, rotor and air filter. Either Ford Motorsport SP-447 AGSF32C or NGK TR5 223 seem to work for everyone. I have my boost up a little from stock with the Gilles valve so I am running .028" gap. I would suggest the same so when the power is not adequate you can have fun without "spark blow out". You can also replace the air box if you choose to put a cone filter on that is always reversible back to stock
https://turbotbird.com/thread-beginner-s-mods-for-hp

In my opinion, use a 10w30 synthetic oil. Doesn't really matter what brand to me as much as you use the same brand all the time.

I don't have any input on spring and shocks. Limited choices since out suspension is longer than the Foxbody Mustang although more choices if using SN95 Mustang but not sure on ride height.

Hopefully someone will chime in about the seat brackets. I have noticed the pedals are close together and I need to be mindful what shoes I wear to drive. I wear a size 13 so I get both the brake and gas or clutch sometimes.
1988 TC, 5 spd, Stinger 3" Exhaust, Schneider Roller Cam, -4° Cam Pulley, Cone Filter, Gilles Boost Control Valve set at 17 psi, Walbro 255 lph, CHE Rear Lower and Upper Control Arms, Braided Brake Lines, Hawk HPS 5.0 Front and HPS (F) Rear, CRES Inserts in front calipers, and '93 Cobra Wheels with General 235/50R17 Tires.