North American Turbocoupe Organization

Replacement Battery
valleybird Offline
Does anyone know the correct battery group for the '88 TC 5-speed. Believe it or not, our local Ford dealer didn't know and said it was too old to look up. Thanks.

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
No clue on the official battery group / size, but I have been using Wally World Everstart MAXX group 65N 1000 CA/850CCA batteries in my 88 TC and 86 Tbird 5.0 for many many years. The group 65N fits the stock battery tray perfectly. I usually get 5 to 7 years (sometimes even more) out of them.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

valleybird Offline
(06-22-2021, 11:43 PM)Jeff K Wrote: No clue on the official battery group / size, but I have been using Wally World Everstart MAXX group 65N 1000 CA/850CCA batteries in my 88 TC and 86 Tbird 5.0 for many many years.  The group 65N fits the stock battery tray perfectly. I usually get 5 to 7 years (sometimes even more) out of them.

Thanks Jeff. That's the exact battery I saw at Walmart today. It measured to the dimensions of my battery tray. The other recommended battery (group 58) is three inches shorter than the battery tray, so I guess I'll be going with the group 65. Thanks for the very helpful infomation.

anasazi4st Offline
(06-22-2021, 11:43 PM)Jeff K Wrote: No clue on the official battery group / size, but I have been using Wally World Everstart MAXX group 65N 1000 CA/850CCA batteries in my 88 TC and 86 Tbird 5.0 for many many years.  The group 65N fits the stock battery tray perfectly. I usually get 5 to 7 years (sometimes even more) out of them.

^^^ I have the same battery; and while I don’t have the enviable service record that Jeff does, because of the heat here (my last one was in April 2019, I’ll probably need a new one by the end of this year, or next), I have been quite pleased with it. The reviews for it are fantastic.

I was using DieHard Gold ones for years, I got 3-4 years before it would die. But the prices for those—compared to the Everstart MAXX—are almost twice as much.

Conversely, I have had NO luck with those sold at parts stores—typically Exide, etc. Before the DieHard I was going through one of those a year. I’m sure they’re probably okay for other parts of the country, but not here.
Another proud dues-paying member.

1987 Turbo Coupe w/T5OD, 8.8 axle, grey smoke; most options. Got it in 1991 with 41K miles: 3 turbos, 2 heater cores, 3 T5OD full rebuilds, 6 clutches, 1 head gasket, 2 Teves II ABS units, etc. later....

valleybird Offline
Thanks for the info. After looking at the Everstart, which was produced this month (6-21) and comparing it to the Motorcraft at the Ford dealer, which was dusty and I couldn't find the date code (and it was $30 more), I've decided to go with the Everstart. Just not happy with our Ford dealer here.

On to my next quest, NOS mufflers. So far, no luck.

teal95 Offline
I'm not sure of the group but it appears to be the same battery in my 96 Mark VIII.
'83 & '84 GT turbo EEC-Tuner
'85.5 & '86 SVO twEECer
2x '87 & '88 TC QuarterHorse
'93 LX 5.0 notch Moates chips
3x '95 & '96 GT

88Slowbird Offline
(06-24-2021, 09:28 PM)valleybird Wrote: Thanks for the info. After looking at the Everstart, which was produced this month (6-21) and comparing it to the Motorcraft at the Ford dealer, which was dusty and I couldn't find the date code (and it was $30 more), I've decided to go with the Everstart. Just not happy with our Ford dealer here.

On to my next quest, NOS mufflers. So far, no luck.

just put some Dynomax turbo mufflers on it you won't hurt the cars value
1985 SVO: Pro 5.0 Shifter, Boport valve springs, Manual boost controller, AEM wideband
1985 TC 5 Speed