North American Turbocoupe Organization

CODES 72 & 81
Jeff K Offline
Administrator
Pug gap is very important in any engine, as well as the type / brand of plug. When I first got my TC 21 years ago, I foolishly tried Bosch Platinum plugs. Ran like TOTAL CRAP. Switched to NGK 2238 / TR5 plugs and it ran perfectly.

I run a .028" plug gap since I am running 24 psi boost with Meth injection. For stock boost, .032" gap is about right.

What about the ignition coil? Coils can and do fail.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

87TurboBird2.3 Offline
(06-13-2021, 02:35 PM)Jeff K Wrote: Pug gap is very important in any engine, as well as the type / brand of plug. When I first got my TC 21 years ago, I foolishly tried Bosch Platinum plugs. Ran like TOTAL CRAP.  Switched to NGK 2238 / TR5 plugs and it ran perfectly.

I run a .028" plug gap since I am running 24 psi boost with Meth injection. For stock boost, .032" gap is about right.

What about the ignition coil? Coils can and do fail.

I'm running the Autolite 104 spark plugs. If I remember correctly, I think I have it gaped at .028 but I could go wider since I'm running the factory turbo and boost psi. I read somewhere that a more narrow gap wouldn't hurt anything, but if you get it too wide then the spark could be blown out and cause issues. But I don't think that's the case happening here. 

I haven't looked into the coil. I didn't think that would be the issue since it will run fine if I rev the engine. But who knows. Anything is possible.

87TurboBird2.3 Offline
Well I tested each spark plug & wire with my inline spark plug tester and I'm getting the same results; it won't idle. And I still can’t find any vacuum leaks.

Question….the code 72 (continuous memory) comes up as a “system power circuit fault; message center control assembly circuit failure. What is the “System Power Circuit” &/or the “Message Center Control Assembly”? Is this referring to the main computer/ECU??? Maybe the ECU decided to take a dirt nap? But the car still runs if you rev the engine above idle. Who knows. I'm just grasping at straws at this point. Someone mentioned to check the fuel pressure. I guess that will be my next test. 

If I can’t get this figured out, I’m getting to the point of just selling it and let someone else figure it out. I’m so frustrated with this. The thing is is it is a great driving car, especially with the brand new parts I’ve thrown at it. But I haven’t had a chance to enjoy it yet because the damn thing won’t idle for some reason. GRRRRRRR!!!!

87TurboBird2.3 Offline
I have another question....would a bad MAP sensor cause my issue?