North American Turbocoupe Organization

PRC strut bracket
88chickentc Offline
I'm looking for the bracket for the passenger side strut that the PRC sender/sensor mounts to.  I paid a shop to install new struts and it seems they did not reinstall this bracket or the nut that screws onto the strut stud.  I drove it for about five years after.  Can't say I ever notices a clunk.  Gravity works sometimes.  

I've attached a photo to jog memories.

Attached Files Image(s)

1931 Deluxe Coupe
1949 Club Coupe
1951 F-1
1971 Torino GT Convertible
1988 Thunderbird Turbocoupe

Kuch Offline
Hey 88, I think I still have those left over after my Koni swap, let me check tonight. But, if they put new struts in for you, why do you want that bracket as it's only used for the PRC control? did you install new PRC's? If you still have the plastic covers, they will still snap on the three mount bolts and cover everything up nicely.
1988 Turbo Coupe, Black/Black, 5 Speed, Moonroof,  T3/T4, ported E6, 255LPH, Kirban, Stinger Exhaust, MGW shifter, K&N, Gillis valve, BP1.5, PIMPx, Koni's
1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL, 390 6V, Big Solid cam, Headers,3.89's, 4 Speed, Vast and fast
1960 Ford Starliner, 292 Y Block, 312 4bbl intake, headers, 3 Speed, slow and low

88chickentc Offline
(05-25-2021, 11:16 AM)Kuch Wrote: Hey 88, I think I still have those left over after my Koni swap, let me check tonight. But, if they put new struts in for you, why do you want that bracket as it's only used for the PRC control? did you install new PRC's? If you still have the plastic covers, they will still snap on the three mount bolts and cover everything up nicely.
Kuch, I bought replacement Tokico struts with PRC in 1999 and had them installed them in ~2004.  I have less than 25k on the newer ones. I've unknowingly been driving the car without the PRC bracket or top mounting nut since then.  Fortunately, I haven't used the car regularly since 2008.  Another reason to do the work yourself when you can.  You can't trust anyone else to do it right.
1931 Deluxe Coupe
1949 Club Coupe
1951 F-1

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
Did the morons who put in the new PRC struts put the PRC actuators back on? If they did, I dont see how they would have mounted them as they mount to that plate with 2 short screws. If they did put the PRC actuators on without the bracket, the actuators will likely just rotate or flop around instead of rotating the flat on top of the PRC strut to switch them from soft to firm and firm to soft. Did you replace the PRC shocks also? Did the morons do that correctly?? If loose / hanging actuators are switching, firm light will operate correctly and no PRC error codes will show (PRC FIRM light flashing) but the shocks / struts will not be switching modes.

Yet another reason that I am the only one who touches our cars, daughters and her husbands cars is me. Diagnosis and repairs are done correctly using the highest quality parts and materials available.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

88chickentc Offline
(05-25-2021, 03:55 PM)Jeff K Wrote: Did the morons who put in the new PRC struts put the PRC actuators back on? If they did, I dont see how they would have mounted them as they mount to that plate with 2 short screws. If they did put the PRC actuators on without the bracket, the actuators will likely just rotate or flop around instead of rotating the flat on top of the PRC strut to switch them from soft to firm and firm to soft.  Did you replace the PRC shocks also? Did the morons do that correctly??  If loose / hanging actuators are switching, firm light will operate correctly and no PRC error codes will show (PRC FIRM light flashing) but the shocks / struts will not be switching modes.

Yet another reason that I am the only one who touches our cars, daughters and her husbands cars is me. Diagnosis and repairs are done correctly using the highest quality parts and materials available.

Jeff, the actuator was inserted into the strut stud, but was not hard mounted.  It would have just flopped around with no switching.  I was not smart enough/or I was just cheap enough not to buy new shocks back then, so those are OE.  177k miles.  Guess I need to consider replacing those with the Konis.
1931 Deluxe Coupe
1949 Club Coupe
1951 F-1

Kuch Offline
I'm with Jeff here, we have to know if they left the electrical connectors just hanging around or what. Are the actual PRC actuators still on the top of the struts, if not, then the bracket will be basically pointless with nothing to screw to it. Do you have a pic of what the top of them look like right now? If you want to use the PRC, then you would need the bracket, and the actuator. Let us know what you have currently and we can straighten this out.
1988 Turbo Coupe, Black/Black, 5 Speed, Moonroof,  T3/T4, ported E6, 255LPH, Kirban, Stinger Exhaust, MGW shifter, K&N, Gillis valve, BP1.5, PIMPx, Koni's
1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL, 390 6V, Big Solid cam, Headers,3.89's, 4 Speed, Vast and fast
1960 Ford Starliner, 292 Y Block, 312 4bbl intake, headers, 3 Speed, slow and low

88chickentc Offline
I've been looking for the tech article that describes the best method to disassemble the actuators and clean them.  The three strings I found had a link that is now dead.  Does anyone know if this tech article is still posted?  I browsed all four pages of the Tech Articles and could not find it.  Any help would be appreciated.
1931 Deluxe Coupe
1949 Club Coupe
1951 F-1

Kuch Offline
88, I see we are posting at the same times here, good to know that you still have the actuators, I will look in my parts bin tonight for the brackets. did you need all four or just one? I have not seen any articles on taking the apart though, but like any simple electrical device, if you can get it apart by not breaking it, then you can clean them and put back together.

88chickentc Offline
(05-25-2021, 04:24 PM)Kuch Wrote: 88, I see we are posting at the same times here, good to know that you still have the actuators, I will look in my parts bin tonight for the brackets. did you need all four or just one? I have not seen any articles on taking the apart though, but like any simple electrical device, if you can get it apart by not breaking it, then you can clean them and put back together.

Kuch: just the one will be good.  I don't want to be greedy.  If you find one, send me a PM with your address and i'll shoot you a check to cover the part and shipping.
1931 Deluxe Coupe
1949 Club Coupe
1951 F-1

88chickentc Offline
(05-25-2021, 05:35 PM)88chickentc Wrote:
(05-25-2021, 04:24 PM)Kuch Wrote: 88, I see we are posting at the same times here, good to know that you still have the actuators, I will look in my parts bin tonight for the brackets. did you need all four or just one? I have not seen any articles on taking the apart though, but like any simple electrical device, if you can get it apart by not breaking it, then you can clean them and put back together.

Kuch: just the one will be good.  I don't want to be greedy.  If you find one, send me a PM with your address and i'll shoot you a check to cover the part and shipping.

Hey, Kuch.  Thanks for the offer, but I found two for sale on EBay with the actuators.  Someone had them listed as "air shock switches" so I was unsure at first.  They're on the way.  Hope I didn't waste your time.
1931 Deluxe Coupe
1949 Club Coupe
1951 F-1