North American Turbocoupe Organization

Any chance of getting one of these?
Rob H Offline
I decided to reseal my headlights as they have moisture in them.
I had them off not too long ago and I don't recall if there was any damage, seems like the kind of thing one would remember.
Not sure how it happened, maybe it was already like that and I just didn't notice somehow. But anyways I've got a busted corner on the plastic bracket on the driver's side headlight.
What's incredibly annoying is I know for sure I had a driver side headlight from the parts car I bought years ago. I've got all the parts right where I think they should be, no headlight. I had hoped to salvage that plastic piece to put on to this headlight.
Are these as rare as good headlights themselves or are there tons of these laying around attached to busted up headlights?

Attached Files Image(s)

Rob H Offline
After looking those brackets over, I found several cracks. What I found really concerning is how crumbly the plastic seemed. Like where it broke, it seemed to kind of disintegrate... I bought some construction adhesive, and I more or less filled the little "cells" with adhesive. Hard to get a good pic of, but I'm pretty sure it was worthwhile as it should prevent any further cracking. The corners on the one in particular looked like they may not have lasted much longer. The cracks seemed to follow the lines of the plastic grid shape on the other side. They were more prominent leading from the mounting stud.

Attached Files Image(s)

Mikey97D likes this post

anasazi4st Offline
(05-22-2021, 02:12 AM)Rob H Wrote: After looking those brackets over, I found several cracks. What I found really concerning is how crumbly the plastic seemed. Like where it broke, it seemed to kind of disintegrate... I bought some construction adhesive, and I more or less filled the little "cells" with adhesive. Hard to get a good pic of, but I'm pretty sure it was worthwhile as it should prevent any further cracking. The corners on the one in particular looked like they may not have lasted much longer. The cracks seemed to follow the lines of the plastic grid shape on the other side. They were more prominent leading from the mounting stud.

Nice job. Good thinking on the repair. I think you are right, there probably are a lot of those attached to broken headlight lenses, and people are probably holding on to them for that reason.

That’s the left side, correct? I’ll look and see if I have that part—I’m pretty sure I don’t, but we’ll see.
Another proud dues-paying member.

1987 Turbo Coupe w/T5OD, 8.8 axle, grey smoke; most options. Got it in 1991 with 41K miles: 3 turbos, 2 heater cores, 3 T5OD full rebuilds, 6 clutches, 1 head gasket, 2 Teves II ABS units, etc. later....

Rob H Offline
Hey thanks for the reply and the offer, but I think I am in good shape for now here. I'll pick up a spare someday, or maybe find my own hopefully.
It's on there rock solid, all sealed up I think, new Silver Star bulbs my brother gave me two years ago and a good cleaning.
Im sure everyone has a tricks for cleaning stuff, I'll share mine if you are interested. I started doing this years ago to clean my daughters bottles. I would put a bit of uncooked rice, some water, slosh it around to clean. 
I find rice is nice with plastics. I put a bit of degreaser in the headlight housing and sloshed the rice around.
I cleaned away some hard gunk and other stuff, cleaned the outside, and used flowable silicone. Didn't open.
Forgot to reply, it was the driver's side bracket that was broken.

Attached Files Image(s)

Mikey97D likes this post

Kuch Offline
Damn Rob, that looks really good
1988 Turbo Coupe, Black/Black, 5 Speed, Moonroof,  T3/T4, ported E6, 255LPH, Kirban, Stinger Exhaust, MGW shifter, K&N, Gillis valve, BP1.5, PIMPx, Koni's
1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL, 390 6V, Big Solid cam, Headers,3.89's, 4 Speed, Vast and fast
1960 Ford Starliner, 292 Y Block, 312 4bbl intake, headers, 3 Speed, slow and low

Rob H Offline
Thanks Kuch! I'm really happy with the results. I consider myself lucky, though they had a few cracks in that bracket, they're in pretty good shape as far as the Chrome and all.

Thor Power Offline
Looks real nice! Is your K&N filter sticking straight up?
88 Sports "Thor" disassembled
88 Grey 5spd Turbocoupe "Hooptie" ('09 Calendar) Parted out & crushed.(Tbird Heaven)
88 Black 5spd Turbocoupe Parted out & crushed. (Tbird Heaven)
88 Red 5spd Turbocoupe (newest member)
02 Lincoln Continental (road warrior)
06 Mercury Grand Marguis (custom duals like the Marauder)

Rob H Offline
(05-25-2021, 05:35 AM)Thor Power Wrote: Looks real nice! Is your K&N filter sticking straight up?

Haha caught that did ya!
Yes it is. It was supposed to be like that very temporarily, going to try to put it in the fender here very soon.