North American Turbocoupe Organization

Clean up and paint coolant lines
Rob H Offline
I've got a couple of really old hoses I'm going to be replacing, sure would love to clean these pipes up make them look nice. I'm going to take a wire brush to them and sandpaper, degrease and whatnot.
Any of you guys have any luck getting anything to stick to these? Any recommendations for paint type etc?

Attached Files Image(s)

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
I painted my coolant lines rattle can Dupicolor flat black years ago after derusting them. They have held up pretty well. Every few years I have touched up a few small spots here and there with a brush. Many of those small spots were due to me nicking them with wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

Rob H Offline
I've got one of them off cleaned up and repainted, looks great! This one was very easy to get off. I'm wondering about the other one though, can anyone give me an idea of what to expect? Am I going to be able to feed that pipe somehow out of the engine compartment so I can clean it up?
I can see it takes a right angle in behind the engine, then another right angle heading down. I can see where it terminates, I haven't tried taking anything apart, I'm not really sure what I'm looking at up there, how it comes apart, that kind of thing.

Attached Files Image(s)

Rob H Offline
In case you don't recognize, that picture is looking up from the ground at the underside of where that other pipe goes to

BradM Offline
Here's some pics to help.

Attached Files Image(s)

1965 Mercury Comet Caliente; 1968 Mercury Monterey; 1969 F100 Ranger; 1982 Mustang; 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe; 2017 Police Interceptor

Rob H Offline
Hey,those pictures are great thanks Brad I'm sure these will come in handy more than once.
I took one of your pictures and I marked with yellow what I'm pretty sure is the coolant lines I'm seeing.
In the picture I posted above it looks like it's three pipes meeting in one connector.
It's a funny looking connector, looks like it has a little screw or something, has coolant drip on it. It just looks like a fragile connection. I don't want to screw it up and break something, it looks like it's going to be seized together likely with crud. Not sure how easy it will come apart

Attached Files Image(s)

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
Yes, 3 smaller diameter lines meet at a metal 3 way connector. FYI, the "U" shaped hose hasnt been available for years. I just used a piece of tranny cooler line I had laying around (I forget the ID of the line) and looped it in a 1/2 circle. Used zip ties to secure it away from any hot or moving parts, etc. Been fine for at least 15 years.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

Rob H Offline
(04-28-2021, 10:05 PM)Jeff K Wrote: Yes, 3 smaller diameter lines meet at a metal 3 way connector.  FYI, the "U" shaped hose hasnt been available for years.  I just used a piece of tranny cooler line I had laying around (I forget the ID of the line) and looped it in a 1/2 circle. Used zip ties to secure it away from any hot or moving parts, etc. Been fine for at least 15 years.
Thanks Jeff. There are three pipes as you say.
Decided to get out there and carefully start wiggling things. That's a fun spot to be working in!
I got the one hose off, the other one is loose I just couldn't get my body positioned to put any strength into pulling it off.
When I put these back in, should I use these funny looking connectors? Or am I good just to use hose clamps.

BradM Offline
Here's another picture. The connection is not fragile, it's steel pipe with a brazed extension. The nipple on the intake is also stout. I could not find a replacement hose for the one coming off the intake but the hose the in good shape. I cut 1/2 inch off each end and reseated it.

Attached Files Image(s)

1965 Mercury Comet Caliente; 1968 Mercury Monterey; 1969 F100 Ranger; 1982 Mustang; 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe; 2017 Police Interceptor

Rob H Offline
Thanks again Brad and yes I do see what you are talking about. Definitely a lot more sturdy than it looks. From below it just kind of looks like three pipes meet in one spot but it's more that they just meet very close to each other. The metal pipe has two nipples, one each for the two hoses that hook into it.
Looks like once I can get an angle on it I should be able to get the last hose pulled off.
Thanks for the advice guys. I know I stumble on some pretty easy stuff, just getting used to car repair in general.