North American Turbocoupe Organization

Clean up and paint coolant lines
Rob H Offline
I have no idea how I got my lines crossed, but apparently I've been trying to get the wrong connection apart.
So now I'll be doing the line that comes from the heater core as well. No big deal I guess though it does make me shake my head. Good thing it's something that needs done too, basically the same thing I was already doing, just hadn't planned on doing that one.

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
Just use regular worm drive hose clamps to attach the hoses to the fittings.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

anasazi4st Offline
(04-29-2021, 06:07 PM)Rob H Wrote: I have no idea how I got my lines crossed, but apparently I've been trying to get the wrong connection apart.
So now I'll be doing the line that comes from the heater core as well. No big deal I guess though it does make me shake my head. Good thing it's something that needs done too, basically the same thing I was already doing, just hadn't planned on doing that one.

Rob—

Here’s a diagram I made years ago that should be a big help:

[Image: Coolant%20hoses.PNG?dl=0]

Hope this helps. The designations H1 and T1, etc. were for hoses I had marked with masking tape.
Another proud dues-paying member.

1987 Turbo Coupe w/T5OD, 8.8 axle, grey smoke; most options. Got it in 1991 with 41K miles: 3 turbos, 2 heater cores, 3 T5OD full rebuilds, 6 clutches, 1 head gasket, 2 Teves II ABS units, etc. later....
Rob H likes this post

Rob H Offline
Thanks guys. It was raining so I stopped for the day. Mostly off and out(the metal pipes) I just haven't got that big pipe with the 90° fished out yet. I'm not sure if I should be very worried about kinking it so I'm being extremely careful with it. I hadn't really unhooked a whole lot of anything I was just trying to see if I could get it out in the spaces that were already available. So close but no luck, if it wasn't for the one little angled section down at the bottom...
I'll try back once weather is nice again. Thanks for the tips and the diagrams, I'll post back when it's back together.
I get nervous doing stuff like this. I've had to disconnect and reconnect a lot of stuff. I might have done damage to a small metal vac line trying to disconnect it. I'll check back on it later.
I'm pretty optimistic I've got this. At the point when I do have it, the metal coolant lines will be derusted and painted. The rubber hoses most of them 90° pieces will be replaced. 
Is there anything in the neighborhood where I'm working I should inspect or be aware of? Things that might be easier to do only when those hoses are off I don't know. Just want to be thorough while I'm in there.

anasazi4st Offline
(05-03-2021, 04:50 AM)I’m Rob H Wrote: Thanks guys. It was raining so I stopped for the day. Mostly off and out(the metal pipes) I just haven't got that big pipe with the 90° fished out yet. I'm not sure if I should be very worried about kinking it so I'm being extremely careful with it. I hadn't really unhooked a whole lot of anything I was just trying to see if I could get it out in the spaces that were already available. So close but no luck, if it wasn't for the one little angled section down at the bottom...
I'll try back once weather is nice again. Thanks for the tips and the diagrams, I'll post back when it's back together.
I get nervous doing stuff like this. I've had to disconnect and reconnect a lot of stuff. I might have done damage to a small metal vac line trying to disconnect it. I'll check back on it later.
I'm pretty optimistic I've got this. At the point when I do have it, the metal coolant lines will be derusted and painted. The rubber hoses most of them 90° pieces will be replaced. 
Is there anything in the neighborhood where I'm working I should inspect or be aware of? Things that might be easier to do only when those hoses are off I don't know. Just want to be thorough while I'm in there.

How serious about this are you? I’m not being a smartass—how far do you want to go with it?

I ask that because you could remove both the upper and lower intake manifolds for better access. I would also consider replacing (or at least removing and testing) the oil pressure sender and the temp coolant sending unit. Those two in particular and not easy to get to, or at; so, since you’re there....

I like to replace all my coolant hoses at least every 5 or so years, depending on how many miles I am currently putting on the car. There are quite a few that are very difficult to access, like the ones that lead into the oil cooler unit. Nearly all of them will have to be custom fitted, as the original fitted hoses have long been discontinued. The exception is Gates 20338, which is a small 90 degree hose, available here and on Amazon and at Home Depot, as well as many other places. I have several of these in my setup, including 2 at that oil cooler unit.[url=https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/gates/air-conditioning/heater-hose/78e5e673c02c/gates-epdm-rubber-coolant-hose/gat0/20338][/url]

1987 Turbo Coupe w/T5OD, 8.8 axle, grey smoke; most options. Got it in 1991 with 41K miles: 3 turbos, 2 heater cores, 3 T5OD full rebuilds, 6 clutches, 1 head gasket, 2 Teves II ABS units, etc. later....

Rob H Offline
I'm not looking to do unnecessary things. Unless you tell me I'd be a damn fool not to do something while I'm right there I don't really plan on doing a whole lot other than putting the car back together and seeing if it still runs. But I would say I am quite serious about doing anything that needs to get done.
I was also eyeing the upper intake to get more room to work in there. I somewhat regret not removing it from the beginning just to have room to make the job easier.
I've got a couple other Gates hoses. 28466 and 28467. Nothing fancy just Gates 5/8 hoses with 90° bends in them. I'm going to need a couple more, I'll see if I can find that hose you mentioned. Where is it supposed to be used?
I'll tell you below this line all what I'm up to this summer as far as planned maintenance or repairs.
The coolant lines repainting came about as I wanted to replace the hoses. I will also be doing a proper back flush this year which didn't get done last year. I'll be getting the support spring out of my old lower radiator hose and putting it into the new one, forgot to do that last year. I do have an ECT as well as the connector for it in case it has gotten loose as Jeff mentioned previously.
I have a stant 195 thermostat, four seasons water outlet and Fel-Pro rubber gasket. At some point I've got new injectors going in when they show up from SMP. I was waiting to finish one job before I start asking about the next, but I also need to get the turbo out.
So I've got a half decent list of stuff.

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
Sounds like you are getting lots of "deferred maintenance" out of the way! The car will be much more fun to drive when you are done in that you wont be worried about this, that, and the other thing failing, leaking, etc. while out on the road.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

Rob H Offline
Yeah that's pretty much it Jeff. The car wasn't bad but it wasn't fantastic either when I got it in 2016. Since then I've been trying to clean it up, familiarize myself with it, and address things that need addressed so I won't have to worry about this that and the other as you say.

Rob H Offline

Cleaned up and sprayed with Rust-Oleum high heat.
Just coming out of the oven after the first of three trips at increasing temps. In for 30 out for 30. Repeat at higher temp.
250°, 400°, 600°
Hopefully that's the hottest these pipes ever see!
I did one of them a couple days ago, I've got a good feeling about it. That's all I can say about it only time will tell.

anasazi4st Offline
(05-04-2021, 05:01 AM)Rob H Wrote: Cleaned up and sprayed with Rust-Oleum high heat.
Just coming out of the oven after the first of three trips at increasing temps. In for 30 out for 30. Repeat at higher temp.
250°, 400°, 600°
Hopefully that's the hottest these pipes ever see!
I did one of them a couple days ago, I've got a good feeling about it. That's all I can say about it only time will tell.

Wow you went with the REALLY high heat paint! It’s probably overkill, as the hottest those lines are likely to get is just above the coolant temperature, which will probably top out at around 264 degrees Fahrenheit. I considered that paint when I rebuilt my turbo a few years ago, but did not think the oven in my kitchen would go to 600 degrees.

Like you, I just repainted the metal coolant lines for the engine I am working on rebuilding, but I used Rust-oleum Specialty High Heat paint, which is for barbecue grills and the like. There is no heating in steps like you are doing with it—you just spray it on like any other paint—but it supposedly is good until 1200 degrees. (I am suspicious.)

This is the stuff.