North American Turbocoupe Organization

PRC
Frank.e994 Offline
I am new to this forum because I am looking to buy a turbo coupe. I was wondering if there is anyway to "rebuild" the shocks and struts so I can retain the PRC. Or if my only option would be to change it a traditional shock and strut set up.

Kuch Offline
Frank, Welcome to the forum, this site is awesome! We have all gone down the same route with the stock PRC shocks and struts, and bottom line is NO, they cannot be rebuilt. If you can figure out a way, you would be the forum hero. With that being said, do not let a set of wore out PRC stuff scare you out of not getting a nice Turbo Coupe. There are easy work arounds for replacement to include stockish KYB's or even better Konis or even coil overs if you want to go that route. Are you looking at a TC right now or only shopping? Let us know what you find and we can help with any questions you might have on it.
1988 Turbo Coupe, Black/Black, 5 Speed, Moonroof,  T3/T4, ported E6, 255LPH, Kirban, Stinger Exhaust, MGW shifter, K&N, Gillis valve, BP1.5, PIMPx, Koni's
1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL, 390 6V, Big Solid cam, Headers,3.89's, 4 Speed, Vast and fast
1960 Ford Starliner, 292 Y Block, 312 4bbl intake, headers, 3 Speed, slow and low

Frank.e994 Offline
Sounds like I might have a new project then lol. I am looking at a TC that is for sale and local to me and I was curious on the PRC and if it was rebuildable. Thanks for the fast reply man. Maybe I'll give rebuilding a set a shot. Do you know or anyone who has a technical diagram or something of how exactly they work? That would give me a fighting chance.

Kuch Offline
I believe the biggest problem was having to cut them open to replace bad seals, meaning you would have to re-weld them together, which to me doesn't sound safe. I believe these were manufactured by Tokico. The little valve which turns when you hit the switch from soft to firm probably opens or closes a part of the valving inside them. Also, I do not think anyone has actually taken a set apart to look inside, I simply replaced mine with Koni's for an SN-95 Mustang with only the addition of a rear shock bracket available here https://tbirdcougarparts.com/#!/
1988 Turbo Coupe, Black/Black, 5 Speed, Moonroof,  T3/T4, ported E6, 255LPH, Kirban, Stinger Exhaust, MGW shifter, K&N, Gillis valve, BP1.5, PIMPx, Koni's
1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL, 390 6V, Big Solid cam, Headers,3.89's, 4 Speed, Vast and fast
1960 Ford Starliner, 292 Y Block, 312 4bbl intake, headers, 3 Speed, slow and low

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
The PRC shocks / struts were never designed to be rebuilt like some high end shocks / struts are. Years ago, I was given a old PRC shock and strut at Carlisle. When I got home, I cut them open with my trusty Sawsall and had a look inside. Looked like it MIGHT be possible to replace at least some some of the seals / O rings if the correct sizes could be found, but I have no clue about what kind of "oil" was used and if it was specific to the PRC struts / shocks. Welding them back together, besides likely being unsafe a Kuch said, might generate enough heat to damage the new seals, etc, and I have no clue how to repressurize them with dry Nitrogen and what pressure of nitrogen to use.

20 years ago, I put KYB struts / shocks on my 86 Tbird 5.0 V8, Great ride and darn good handling with the 235/60/15 tires on American Racing rims.... (very) roughly the damping is in between the soft and firm settings on the PRC struts / shocks.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized