North American Turbocoupe Organization

No start
rairbird Offline
First of all, replaced control mod., stator, Fuel pressure is 38psi, injectors seem to be pulsing ( I'm getting voltage at the injectors ) swapped coils, no fuseable links blown. When key is in run position and I rotate the distributor that box on top of the passenger wheel well clicks. I guess it senses a timing change and performs some kind of adjustment. Ran codes, KOEO only, and got 81. My bcs is disconnected. Where do I go from here? Any help would be apreciated. I just did a turbo ( back to the IHI for now ) swap but I did not touch anything, to my knowledge, that would mess up the starting of the car.

------------------
87 T/C, 5sp., Ported/Polished head, 1.89, 1.59 S.S Valves. Motorsport Lifters, A-234 cam, ported lower intake, Rod's S/S headers, 3" DP, T3/T04E 46, Gillis BCV, K&N Air Filter, 42LB injectors, kirban Adj. FPR, Walbro 255 FP, Diablo chip, Head and Main studs, APR rod bolts.
The next two mods are a guttted upper, and the GN intercooler, which I have but only need to install.
88 T/C stock, 5sp.

Pete D Offline
Administrator
What do you mean by "control module"? Are you talking the TFI - the module that sticks out off the distributor? If so did you remove the distributor to do it? And did you get the distributor back in in the correct postion?

If you are getting spark, put a timing light on it and crank it and see where the timing is at.

------------------
NATO Member. it's not a vice, it's an obsession
Letting the cat out of the bag is a whole lot easier than putting it back in.
88 TC X 2, 86 SVO, mods list at
http://www.turbotbird.com/showroom/pd_88tc.htm

[This message has been edited by Pete D (edited 08-31-2003).]
Pete Dunham

Noname
Unregistered
As with most no-start conditions....verify both your ignition timing (have another person crank the car while you hold the timing light) and cam timing, and make sure your spark plugs are in the right positions (1,3,4,2 - clockwise from #1 position).

------------------
Estoril blue 1987 TC 5spd, 139k miles
k&n cone in fenderwell, PRofec B electronic boost controller, kirban adjustable fpr , walbro 255 hi-pressure pump, Bailey BOV, ported e6, Spearco 26x8x3 FMIC, a237 cam, mildly ported head, t3/t4 50 trim / stage III .63, full 3" exhaust, eec-tuner, 55pph injectors, dave compton a/f meter, Nitto 555R drag radials
Best 1/4 mile (before tuner, turbo, injectors, drag radials, cam, and FMIC): 14.120 (with 1.983 60' time)
Best trap speed: 98.44mph

rairbird Offline
Yes, I do mean the TFI, and yes I had to take the distributor out to replace it and the stator. There was a no start condition before these parts were replaced, that's why I replaced them. I know my fuel is good, my compression is good, I now know that my ignition should be good now, and I had someone crank it as I set it to 10btdc. Checked cam timing as well one more time. Everything seems to be O.K. It just plain and simple won't start. I swapped the IRCM as well and nothing. I know I'm clutching at straws right now, but I can't seem to find the problem. Thanks for the replies.
On my last attempt to diagnose the problem, I checked the voltage at the wiring harness into the TFI. #2 and #3 were good (90% of battery voltage). #4 with key in start has no voltage. I need some kind of wiring diagram to see where this leads. I am told that it is in the ignition switch. I don't want to replace the switch unless I have to. Thanks
------------------
87 T/C, 5sp., Ported/Polished head, 1.89, 1.59 S.S Valves. Motorsport Lifters, A-234 cam, ported lower intake, Rod's S/S headers, 3" DP, T3/T04E 46, Gillis BCV, K&N Air Filter, 42LB injectors, kirban Adj. FPR, Walbro 255 FP, Diablo chip, Head and Main studs, APR rod bolts.
The next two mods are a guttted upper, and the GN intercooler, which I have but only need to install.
88 T/C stock, 5sp.

[This message has been edited by rairbird (edited 08-31-2003).]

Pete D Offline
Administrator
Did you put that orange wire back on the compressor inlet stud when you changed the turbo. It's a ground of some kind for the EEC

Pete Dunham

rairbird Offline
Yes I did Pete, but check my last reply. I think I might have found the problem. I will go and clean up that ground and see what happens as well. Thanks

------------------
88 T/C stock, 5sp.

Pete D Offline
Administrator
I can scan the EVTM, 2 pages for the starter circuit. It will take awhile as my scanner is REALLY slow. I'll email it as soon as I get it done.
Pete Dunham

rairbird Offline
Pete, you are the best, man. No hurry. I,m not going anywhere. I double checked that orange wire and there is good ground there. Thanks. By the way, I don't feel alone when it comes to feeling cursed anymore with these cars. The existence of this board is testimony to the problems almost everyone has at one time or another. I just get mine all at once.

------------------
88 T/C stock, 5sp.

Pete D Offline
Administrator
Frank, You should have e-mail. Good luck
If they didn't come through, e-mail me at [email protected]

Pete Dunham