North American Turbocoupe Organization

NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE
87TurboBird2.3 Offline
Regarding the negative battery cable off my 87 TC. Can someone tell me what the round thing is were the 3 cables intersect? Is it a fuseable link or just a junction to connect all the wires together? The wires are corroded and I wanted to replace them with new wires and I was planning just to splice them together, but I thought I'd better ask before I eliminated that round thing where the wires come together. 

Also, what's the plug on the end of the smaller cable for? It plugs into the wiring harness, but I have no idea what it goes to. 

I tried to upload a couple pictures, but it wouldn't let me because the files are too big. I have no idea how to shrink the file (picture) size.

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
It has been a number of years since I have dealt with that cable, but I am 99.7% sure that cable runs directly from the EEC IV computer ground pin (pin 40 I think) to the battery negative terminal. The EEC electronics needs an electrically "clean" (as in no electrical noise) ground to function properly. Why it splits into 2 separate cables is a mystery to me.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

87TurboBird2.3 Offline
(04-06-2021, 10:48 PM)Jeff K Wrote: It has been a number of years since I have dealt with that cable, but I am 99.7% sure that cable runs directly from the EEC IV computer ground pin (pin 40 I think) to the battery negative terminal. The EEC electronics needs an electrically "clean" (as in no electrical noise) ground to function properly. Why it splits into 2 separate cables is a mystery to me.
So should I be ok just to splice all these wires together when I make new cables? Or is this junction point on the factory cables a inline fuse or something like that? I don't need it do I?

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
Yes, you can splice them together at the battery. The 2 smaller wires that come out of that cylindrical junction are just connected directly to the thicker cable anyway.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

87TurboBird2.3 Offline
(04-07-2021, 06:10 PM)Jeff K Wrote: Yes, you can splice them together at the battery. The 2 smaller wires that come out of that cylindrical junction are just connected directly to the thicker cable anyway.
Thanks Jeff. Appreciate it.