North American Turbocoupe Organization

New PRC shocks and struts today!
Jeff K Offline
Administrator
After getting the 88 TC out after its winter hibernation, I noticed the ride being pretty bouncy compared to when it was put into winter storage in the garage mid November.  

Back in 2003, a guy posted on TF that he worked at a Ford dealer as a parts guy, and he found a complete new in the boxes set of PRC shocks and struts. He asked his boss what to do with them. Boss told him to try to sell the set for $500.  I was looking at TF when he posted about the PRC shocks and struts, and within 30 seconds of the post appearing, I called him and bought them.  They have been sitting in my basement ever since.  Every 3 months, I got them out and "exercised" them by running them thru full compression several times, rotating the soft / firm tang, etc. 

Today was a beautiful 60 deg F day here in SE WI, so I decided it was time to install my "new" NOS PRC shocks/struts.  Took me the most of the day to do it. Only went for a short drive, as I was tired and a little sore, but my initial impression is the TC hasnt handled this good in the 21 years I have owned it.  I cant wait to go for a long drive out on the country roads for a real road test! 

Old PRC shocks / struts were mostly shot, except the driver side front strut, which seemed only slightly worse than the new struts when compressing / extending them by hand in both soft and firm mode.  I kept that one, and the other strut and both rear shocks (really bad compared to the new ones) went in the trash.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Mikey97D likes this post

Kuch Offline
Jeff, that is some awesome dedication to maintaining NOS parts for future use. Honestly, as I was reading this, I was expecting your final result to be that they were all soft and bouncy like your old ones! But, I am glad to hear that they worked out great for you, enjoy the ride!
1988 Turbo Coupe, Black/Black, 5 Speed, Moonroof,  T3/T4, ported E6, 255LPH, Kirban, Stinger Exhaust, MGW shifter, K&N, Gillis valve, BP1.5, PIMPx, Koni's
1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL, 390 6V, Big Solid cam, Headers,3.89's, 4 Speed, Vast and fast
1960 Ford Starliner, 292 Y Block, 312 4bbl intake, headers, 3 Speed, slow and low