North American Turbocoupe Organization

Shift knob modification
BradM Offline
Sharing my modification to the shift knob.

Our T5 shifters are threaded as M12 x 1.75 (course pitch). I found a Dewhel knob but couldn't find a boot retainer/adapter to take up the space between the knob and the boot. I used a Dewhel boot retainer/adapter threaded as M12 x 1.25 (fine pitch) but it has a shoulder intended to attach to the boot. I cut off the shoulder and tapped the threads to 1.75 pitch. The retainer is only threaded at the top 1/2" so it's easy to tap. The retainer holds the knob in place and the boot stays tight to the retainer because it's held in place by something behind it on the shifter (the boot is bottomed out).

Attached Files Image(s)

1965 Mercury Comet Caliente; 1968 Mercury Monterey; 1969 F100 Ranger; 1982 Mustang; 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe; 2017 Police Interceptor

Daniel T Offline
That looks cool,thanks for sharing it!!

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
Looks great!!

I took the easy wat out 20 or so years ago. Got a brand new leather shift knob for a 2000 or so Mustang from Ford for around $25. Perfect fit.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

Kuch Offline
I also made some modifications to my shift knob. I used a "Bullit" style but was never happy with the shank visible underneath the knob. What I did was take off the shift boot, turn it inside out, and remove the round rubber grommet that forms the upper part of the boot. It is kind of sealed to the leather boot, but pulls away easily, I then forced the rubber ring around the shift knob base, then re-applied the leather around the ring. As the shift knob is now basically attached to the shift boot and plate, it can be a pain if you need to remove for any reason, but not that big of a deal.

Attached Files Image(s)

1988 Turbo Coupe, Black/Black, 5 Speed, Moonroof,  T3/T4, ported E6, 255LPH, Kirban, Stinger Exhaust, MGW shifter, K&N, Gillis valve, BP1.5, PIMPx, Koni's
1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL, 390 6V, Big Solid cam, Headers,3.89's, 4 Speed, Vast and fast
1960 Ford Starliner, 292 Y Block, 312 4bbl intake, headers, 3 Speed, slow and low

spittinfire Offline
A 5 speed swap is coming for my car and I'm down to only needing a couple of items but I'm still not sure what I'm going to do for a knob. This gives me some ideas.

Kuch Offline
the bullit style seem to have a smaller shoulder on the lower part which makes it easier to get the rubber ring from the shift boot around it.
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-7213A/mustang-b...-knob-7904
1988 Turbo Coupe, Black/Black, 5 Speed, Moonroof,  T3/T4, ported E6, 255LPH, Kirban, Stinger Exhaust, MGW shifter, K&N, Gillis valve, BP1.5, PIMPx, Koni's
1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL, 390 6V, Big Solid cam, Headers,3.89's, 4 Speed, Vast and fast
1960 Ford Starliner, 292 Y Block, 312 4bbl intake, headers, 3 Speed, slow and low

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
Years ago I picked up a new leather shift knob for a mid 2000s Muatang GT from the local Ford dealer for around $40 or so. Perfect fit on my Steeda TriAx shifter and feels good in my hand.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized