North American Turbocoupe Organization

Headlight replacement assemblies
Birdinhand Offline
Anyone find solutions for replacement headlight assemblies?

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
New headlights for the TC havent been available for years.

If yours are broken, check Ebay for a good used pair.

If the plastic lenses are yellowed, cloudy, etc, buff them out and apply a few coats of high quality UV resistant clear spray paint.

If the chrome plating for the reflectors is oxidized some had tried repainting with chrome spray paint with mixed results. Cut the lens off with a Dremel, etc and try some good quality chrome spray paint. When done, reattach the lens with clear RTV.

FYI, the headlights from the 87-88 non TC (3.8 and 5.0 engines) WILL NOT fit.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

88Slowbird Offline
(03-14-2021, 04:53 PM)Jeff K Wrote: New headlights for the TC havent been available for years.

If the plastic lenses are yellowed, cloudy, etc, buff them out and apply a few coats of high quality UV resistant clear spray paint.

If the chrome plating for the reflectors is oxidized some had tried repainting with chrome spray paint with mixed results.  Cut the lens off with a Dremel, etc and try some good quality chrome spray paint.  When done, reattach the lens with clear RTV.

the headlights for all 87-88 Birds are the same

the inner marker lights are the ones that are different because the 3.8 / 5.0 have a grille and the TC do not
1985 SVO: Pro 5.0 Shifter, Boport valve springs, Manual boost controller, AEM wideband
1985 TC 5 Speed

gtbird Offline
Headlights for T/C’s are different than non T/C’s as Jeff stated.
1988 T/C Silver with red interior, fully loaded except for leather. 5 lug conversion with 97 Cobra wheels, Cobra 13" brakes up front, Mustang brakes out back, Koni adjustable shocks and struts, NOS Koni lowering springs . Maximum Motorsports control arms and caster/camber plates, subframe connectors.
SOLD September 2020. Will miss this car after 19 years of building/driving/showing....time for a new chapter in my life.

vegas_ss Offline
(03-14-2021, 04:53 PM)Jeff K Wrote: New headlights for the TC havent been available for years.

If the chrome plating for the reflectors is oxidized some had tried repainting with chrome spray paint with mixed results.  Cut the lens off with a Dremel, etc and try some good quality chrome spray paint.  When done, reattach the lens with clear RTV.

(03-15-2021, 05:23 PM)gtbird Wrote: Headlights for T/C’s are different than non T/C’s as Jeff stated.

Has anyone tried the aluminum tape used on ductwork rather than chrome paint for the reflector area?  Seems like it would be as reflective as the original coating and should be extremely durable as its for exhaust ductwork from a water heater or furnace.

Attached Files Image(s)

1987 TC, 5sp, Boport Stage 3 Head/2.1 Cam
1996 Impala SS, DCM, Borla Cat Back, too much other stuff!!! (SOLD)
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 6M, 6.2l LS3, Kooks Long Tube, Hi Flo Cats, Mild Cam

Kuch Offline
Vegas, I think that would work better then the spray paint chrome, that stuff never really has the right look to it. The tape at least has a shiny metallic look to it. I think the best way is to send off the housings for a shop to actually re-chrome. I sent out some plastic parts for my Galaxies interior to get re-chromed, and it looked exactly like it should, our light housings should be the same chrome look inside. Of course, this costs more, and you have to wait for it to get done, but once it is finished, and the lenses are cleaned up, it would look like new. If I can find a good set off a car, this is the process I am going to do for an extra set. Or if you want to try it yourself, I also found this company that sells at home chrome kits. https://pchrome.com/ , but the starter kit is $350
1988 Turbo Coupe, Black/Black, 5 Speed, Moonroof,  T3/T4, ported E6, 255LPH, Kirban, Stinger Exhaust, MGW shifter, K&N, Gillis valve, BP1.5, PIMPx, Koni's
1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL, 390 6V, Big Solid cam, Headers,3.89's, 4 Speed, Vast and fast
1960 Ford Starliner, 292 Y Block, 312 4bbl intake, headers, 3 Speed, slow and low

anasazi4st Offline
I have had good success with Krylon’s Chrome Paint, but it is still admittedly not real chrome. I have found that, for me, at least so far it is an acceptable substitute.

Please forgive me, but I have to make a comment.

To the OP: this topic has been discussed many many times here. Might I suggest you DO A SITE SEARCH using the word “headlight” to obtain your answer?

(My apologies if you already done so and were not satisfied with the results.)

I frankly do NOT understand why anyone would fail to do that. There are individuals who are no longer a part of this Forum, who have come up with excellent solutions and suggestions. By searching you will be able to read those, as they aren’t a part of the current discussions here and therefore you won’t learn of those ideas.

When I have a question I always search there first. After a collision I had to replace my right headlight assembly, and to my dismay saw the chrome inside had peeled off and faded. I found many solutions in my search.

It’s okay—great, in fact— to ask questions. But I would strongly suggest you do so only AFTER you’ve searched the Archives first. You’ll be happier with the results.

Thanks for listening.
Another proud dues-paying member.

1987 Turbo Coupe w/T5OD, 8.8 axle, grey smoke; most options. Got it in 1991 with 41K miles: 3 turbos, 2 heater cores, 3 T5OD full rebuilds, 6 clutches, 1 head gasket, 2 Teves II ABS units, etc. later....