North American Turbocoupe Organization

Removing Door Mouldings
Rocktansky Offline
Does anyone have a recommended procedure for removing the body side moldings from the doors without damaging them badly ?  I just replaced the doors on the my 88 Turbo Coupe and wanted to install the moldings over to the new doors.

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
Get them good and warm on a hot sunny day or CAREFULLY heat them with a heat gun. Use a thin metal wire (I have used .030 MIG wire from my MIG welder). Get the wire under the trim at one end and pull it up/down to "saw" thru the double sided tape that attaches them to the door. Not fun to do, and takes a while to do.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

Daniel T Offline
What Jeff said or u can use fishing line too

87TurboBird2.3 Offline
I need to remove my door molding and repair some rust and had the same question; how do you remove it? I found this thread which answered that question, but I have a question to add to it? Do they make special body molding tape to reinstall the molding or do you use something different? What do you guys use to reinstall the molding?

Daniel T Offline
That's a good question,,maybe 3m double sided tape??
That's why I don't wanna mess with the side moldings
87TurboBird2.3 likes this post

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
Originally attached with double sided tape. Should be able pick some up at a local body shop supply store, or maybe Ebay or Amazon.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
87TurboBird2.3 likes this post

Cleven Offline
I wanna take mine off completely so bad but I'm scared of what's behind them