North American Turbocoupe Organization

Just got her running, and now she's down for the count
ryandavkd Offline
So I just finished replacing the starter, alternator, and fuel pump in my 88 Turbo Coupe. Take her out to drive around and bam, rear ended by an idiot on their phone and sent into the median snapping my right rear wheel off the axle. Mechanic says my entire rear end needs to be replaced and i'm not sure what to do. I plan on picking up another part time job so that I can afford all the repairs needed. Guy sped off and hasn't been located so my insurance isn't doing anything because it's a "one car accident" regardless of the fact that there is the imprint of a car ramming my rear end lol. Just wanted to let everyone know and say that I'll keep you all updated on my progress of replacing everything, axles, differential as well and I now have to look for a new snowflake wheel because the one that hit the median is destroyed. Welp there goes the rest of my senior year haha

anasazi4st Offline
(02-26-2021, 01:53 AM)ryandavkd Wrote: So I just finished replacing the starter, alternator, and fuel pump in my 88 Turbo Coupe. Take her out to drive around and bam, rear ended by an idiot on their phone and sent into the median snapping my right rear wheel off the axle. Mechanic says my entire rear end needs to be replaced and i'm not sure what to do. I plan on picking up another part time job so that I can afford all the repairs needed. Guy sped off and hasn't been located so my insurance isn't doing anything because it's a "one car accident" regardless of the fact that there is the imprint of a car ramming my rear end lol. Just wanted to let everyone know and say that I'll keep you all updated on my progress of replacing everything, axles, differential as well and I now have to look for a new snowflake wheel because the one that hit the median is destroyed. Welp there goes the rest of my senior year haha

Wow. Well, first off, my condolences. That’s a lot to have to deal with all at once. So sorry that this had to happen to you so early in your driving experiences.

Many on here have heard this story before, but perhaps you haven’t. In July of 2019–just a mile or so from my house: what do they say, most accidents occur within X miles of home?—basically some idiot pulled out of a side street and hit me. It’s as if he never saw me. Anyway, I was sick. Was this the “Ol’ Yeller moment”, when either I put the car down—or has someone just done that for me? Fortunately I knew of a salvage car in nearby Tucson from which I purchased the front end exterior parts to rebuild it.

STILL—after 30 years (this year) of driving my TC, I am painfully aware of that happening again, so I am much more careful (and I was careful before!). It has severely dampened the more carefree enjoyment I used to feel when I drove my car, as I am constantly on the lookout for similar circumstances.

Good luck—and please STAY SAFE! Please keep us informed of your progress.
Another proud dues-paying member.

1987 Turbo Coupe w/T5OD, 8.8 axle, grey smoke; most options. Got it in 1991 with 41K miles: 3 turbos, 2 heater cores, 3 T5OD full rebuilds, 6 clutches, 1 head gasket, 2 Teves II ABS units, etc. later....

vegas_ss Offline
I had a bicyclist turn left in front of me causing me to swerve to avoid hitting him... Hit a curb with the right rear hard enough to bend the axle. This was in an 88 lincoln mark vii lsc (same 8.8 rear axle assembly).

Look for a driveline shop in your area... I was able to have the right axle replaced (machined for abs ring) and the axle housing straightened... cost about $900. Also needed to replace both right side wheels. No issues after the repair. At first I was looking for a complete axle assembly... they were pretty scarce and actually repairing it turned out to be fine.
1987 TC, 5sp, Boport Stage 3 Head/2.1 Cam
1996 Impala SS, DCM, Borla Cat Back, too much other stuff!!! (SOLD)
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 6M, 6.2l LS3, Kooks Long Tube, Hi Flo Cats, Mild Cam

BigJake Offline
Been there before and it sucks! I'd find another Insurance company that covers hit and run drivers.

I'm in Abilene Texas and drove out to Edwards AFB in California to pickup a TC in July 2018 and one month later a cell phone talking fool in a truck rear ended me when I stopped at a red light. Car was total but I bought it back.

[Image: P1060071_zps0wandnb4.jpg?width=1920&heig...fit=bounds]
1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe 5 speed Boosting 25 PSI with Boport/Stinger parts !

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
I have classic car insurance with American Modern for both my 88 TC and 86 Tbird 5.0. Agreed value ($12K for each Tbird), no deductible collision, no deductible glass, 6000 miles per year driving for each Bird, decent towing package, etc, etc for a yearly premium of a little over $400.

Had to use the classic car insurance summer 2018 when we were at the Street Machine Nationals in DuQuoin IL with the 86 Tbird 5.0 when a moron in a pickup pulling a car hauler clipped the pass side rear corner in the motel parking lot, scratching the tail light, ripping a 3 inch hole in the bumper cover and bent the trim stainless steel strip under the tail light. He was nice enough to talk to the people at the motel front deck, and got in contact with me and gave me his insurance and employer info. Sent my insurance co a few picks of the damage that night and the guys info. They got back to me the next day with damage estimated at $1,300. Asked them if I could fix it myself, and they said no problem. Got the $1300 check for damages within 3 days. Fixed it myself good as new in a day and a half for around $100 in supplies. Made $1200 for 1.5 days work.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

anasazi4st Offline
(03-01-2021, 09:28 PM)Jeff K Wrote: I have classic car insurance with American Modern for both my 88 TC and 86 Tbird 5.0. Agreed value ($12K for each Tbird), no deductible collision, no deductible glass, 6000 miles per year driving for each Bird, decent towing package, etc, etc for a yearly premium of a little over $400.

Had to use the classic car insurance summer 2018 when we were at the Street Machine Nationals in DuQuoin IL with the 86 Tbird 5.0 when a moron in a pickup pulling a car hauler clipped the pass side rear corner in the motel parking lot, scratching the tail light, ripping a 3 inch hole in the bumper cover and bent the trim stainless steel strip under the tail light. He was nice enough to talk to the people at the motel front deck, and got in contact with me and gave me his insurance and employer info. Sent my insurance co a few picks of the damage that night and the guys info. They got back to me the next day with damage estimated at $1,300.  Asked them if I could fix it myself, and they said no problem. Got the $1300 check for damages within 3 days. Fixed it myself good as new in a day and a half for around $100 in supplies. Made $1200 for 1.5 days work.

That’s a great story, Jeff, with a happy ending. Too bad most don’t have that, and the salvage yards were and are full of those examples.

I have often considered some type of Classic car insurance—the same way I have often considered the state of Arizona’s Classic license plates. It comes down to: I have had that one collision in nearly 30 years of driving my TC, as I have always tried (for the most part, somewhat less when I was younger  Cry ) to be a careful and defensive driver. If I have that insurance I’ll be protected from the likes of distracted inattentive idiots—but I will have less miles to enjoy my car, which means, less time to drive it. While I realize that I could go another 30 years without another collision (if God willing I am still driving then); or I could have another tomorrow. It’s a constant debate for me. As I mentioned in a post a couple of years ago—do I keep my car in the garage and only drive it occasionally...or do I drive it as often as I can, and enjoy it? I could pull it out of the garage after not driving it for a few weeks and have a collision; or I could drive it nearly every day for almost 30 years without one.

Also, all insurance companies in Arizona offer full glass protection. The heat, and the trucks that haul (and spew out) gravel—since few in the desert have actual grass yards, instead choosing low-maintenance decorative gravel—means we go through a windshield every two or so years, on average. Window tinting is a MUST, so that’s why there’s full coverage.

What is particularly annoying to me is that, for most drivers, an accident with little or no personal injury is almost, simply,  an inconvenience. They’ll just have the insurance company fix the car, or they’ll get another one. For those of us with collector vehicles, our cars are our treasures and not easily replaced.
Another proud dues-paying member.

1987 Turbo Coupe w/T5OD, 8.8 axle, grey smoke; most options. Got it in 1991 with 41K miles: 3 turbos, 2 heater cores, 3 T5OD full rebuilds, 6 clutches, 1 head gasket, 2 Teves II ABS units, etc. later....

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
I have what are called "hobbyist license plates" on both my 88 TC and 86 Tbird 5.0. They are $300 for the first car, and $250 for each additional car and are good forever. The only restrictions are the cars cant be driven on public roads in January, and you must have at least one car with "regular" plates per household (we have 3 cars with regular plates), which is no big deal as the streets are full of snow and road salt during the winter and the Tbirds hibernate in the garage every winter anyway. Pretty darn good deal considering regular car plates here cost $135 per year, and seem to go up $5 to $10 every year or 2.

We also have "collector license plates" here, which are the same price / restrictions as the hobbiest plates. Only difference is how modified the cars are. Collector plates are for basically stock or nearly cars, and hobbyist plates are for cars with significant modifications.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

MN88TurboCoupe Offline
I was looking at an instrument cluster and saw this on ebay. Full car. Sparks Auto Wrecking in Sparks Nevada. Might be something to try.
Publicity, fame and accolades can make a theory popular. They can't make it true.

teal95 Offline
I sent out the registration paperwork for all my old cars 2 weeks ago and am patiently waiting. In MI it's for cars 26 years old (not 25 like every other state) and it's $30 for historic plates and they're good for 10 years at a crack or $35 for authentic plates (have to be correct plates including sticker year for the car), $35 but they're good forever. They're limited to car events ("I'm going to a show after work.") but I've never heard of anyone getting hassled. And with the current situation I'm working from home anyways.
'83 & '84 GT turbo EEC-Tuner
'85.5 & '86 SVO twEECer
2x '87 & '88 TC QuarterHorse
'93 LX 5.0 notch Moates chips
3x '95 & '96 GT

Thor Power Offline
Has anyone used

American Collectors Insurance https://americancollectors.com/protect/?...AsEALw_wcB
Hagerty https://www.hagerty.com/
Grundy https://www.grundy.com/classic-cars/?gcl...32EALw_wcB
88 Sports "Thor" disassembled
88 Grey 5spd Turbocoupe "Hooptie" ('09 Calendar) Parted out & crushed.(Tbird Heaven)
88 Black 5spd Turbocoupe Parted out & crushed. (Tbird Heaven)
88 Red 5spd Turbocoupe (newest member)
02 Lincoln Continental (road warrior)
06 Mercury Grand Marguis (custom duals like the Marauder)