North American Turbocoupe Organization

Sealant on Water Pump Gasket?
John B Offline
Going to replace the water pump, thermostat housing, and thermostat this weekend. The housing and water pump came with paper gaskets. What's the general consensus on using a small amount of sealant (Permatex water pump sealant) with the gaskets versus gaskets alone?
88 Turbo Coupe: Front mount intercooler, MGW short throw shifter, full coilover conversion, tubular control arms front and rear, svo front brakes, vacuum assist brake swap, manual steering swap, GT35R turbo with external gate, pimpx ecu, 60lb injectors, 3 core aluminum radiator, Boport 1.5 cam, gutted upper, corbeau fixed back seats, and the list goes on.

gtbird Offline
(11-17-2020, 04:43 PM)John B Wrote: Going to replace the water pump, thermostat housing, and thermostat this weekend. The housing and water pump came with paper gaskets. What's the general consensus on using a small amount of sealant (Permatex water pump sealant) with the gaskets versus gaskets alone?

I would recommend a small amount of Permatex.
1988 T/C Silver with red interior, fully loaded except for leather. 5 lug conversion with 97 Cobra wheels, Cobra 13" brakes up front, Mustang brakes out back, Koni adjustable shocks and struts, NOS Koni lowering springs . Maximum Motorsports control arms and caster/camber plates, subframe connectors.
SOLD September 2020. Will miss this car after 19 years of building/driving/showing....time for a new chapter in my life.

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
I always put a THIN layer of Permatex Ultra Black on any paper gaskets (both sides of the gasket). Been doing this for many years with zero leaks or seeps.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

anasazi4st Offline
(11-17-2020, 11:31 PM)Jeff K Wrote: I always put a THIN layer of Permatex Ultra Black on any paper gaskets (both sides of the gasket). Been doing this for many years with zero leaks or seeps.

Yeah, I used to use Permatex Indian Head gasket shellac (because that’s what my Dad used in the 60s and what I was taught), but that was a real mess and involved scraping it off each time. Ugh.
Another proud dues-paying member.

1987 Turbo Coupe w/T5OD, 8.8 axle, grey smoke; most options. Got it in 1991 with 41K miles: 3 turbos, 2 heater cores, 3 T5OD full rebuilds, 6 clutches, 1 head gasket, 2 Teves II ABS units, etc. later....