North American Turbocoupe Organization

Brake Lights Out
Mikey97D Offline
Shocked 
Last Sunday I discovered my brake lights were not working by almost getting rear ended.   Sad

First thing I did was do a search here at NATO and read by either one of the Brian(s) or Jeff that the wire breaks fairly regularly (Thanks Guys!).  Also, I would agree that getting under the dash would be easier if you take out the driver's seat, but I didn't do that instead cried and moaned as I contorted getting under the dash.

When I peeked under the dash it wasn't obvious that any wires were broken.  I gently pulled and tugged on each lead but everything looked good.  Mine you I wear bifocals at this point in the game, but we'll come back to this.

Autozone had the light switch and the plug in stock for me.  My first trip I just got the switch that didn't fix my problem.  My 4 way flashers worked and I had power across the fuse (15 AMP location #1) with the flashers on.  I checked the continuity to the switch on both leads and found none.

With my glasses off I saw the insultation was still attached, but the wire was broken on the opposite side of the plug terminals.  I've attached a picture to hopefully help someone else.  Might not happen again for anyone else but just maybe.  
Here's a link to the part at Autozone:  https://www.autozone.com/electrical-and-...v-JRuDo__0
Duralast Stoplight Switch 674

And I have brake lights again!!!

Attached Files Image(s)

1988 TC, 5 spd, Stinger 3" Exhaust, Schneider Roller Cam, -4° Cam Pulley, Cone Filter, Gilles Boost Control Valve set at 17 psi, Walbro 255 lph, CHE Rear Lower and Upper Control Arms, Braided Brake Lines, Hawk HPS 5.0 Front and HPS (F) Rear, CRES Inserts in front calipers, and '93 Cobra Wheels with General 235/50R17 Tires.   

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
I have had the wires to the brake light switch break either at the switch or internally in the wires 3 times over the 34 years I have had my 86 Tbird 5.0, and had the wires in break in the 88 TC twice in the 20 years I have had it. These days I make a quick check of the switch and wires going to the switch every year or 2 in an attempt to head off problems.

Oddly enough, I have never had the brake light switch itself fail in any of the Fords I have owned.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Mikey97D likes this post

Mikey97D Offline
I am pretty sure the original brake switch is still good. I am keeping it as a backup.
1988 TC, 5 spd, Stinger 3" Exhaust, Schneider Roller Cam, -4° Cam Pulley, Cone Filter, Gilles Boost Control Valve set at 17 psi, Walbro 255 lph, CHE Rear Lower and Upper Control Arms, Braided Brake Lines, Hawk HPS 5.0 Front and HPS (F) Rear, CRES Inserts in front calipers, and '93 Cobra Wheels with General 235/50R17 Tires.