North American Turbocoupe Organization

Turbine Rims
Rob H Offline
I like the look of the 15 in Mustang turbine rims , and I'm almost positive I read a long time ago(I don't think it was on here, already looked around a bit to see if I could find what I read) that these will bolt right onto the car.
A set came up for sale near me. I won't need new rubber for a while, but $120 for the set is pretty reasonable I think so I'm considering grabbing them.
Can anyone verify that these will work?
I sent a message to get better pictures and details. But pretty sure these are the ones.

Attached Files Image(s)

anasazi4st Offline
(08-15-2020, 08:16 AM)Rob H Wrote: I like the look of the 15 in Mustang turbine rims , and I'm almost positive I read a long time ago(I don't think it was on here, already looked around a bit to see if I could find what I read) that these will bolt right onto the car.
A set came up for sale near me. I won't need new rubber for a while, but $120 for the set is pretty reasonable I think so I'm considering grabbing them.
Can anyone verify that these will work?
I sent a message to get better pictures and details. But pretty sure these are the ones.

I know you like how they look, but why would you want SMALLER wheels?

Jeff and others can perhaps better answer this, but I think it might throw the accuracy of your speedometer off, you’d need a different speedo gear in the transmission. It could also cause differential (rear end) issues, extra heat buildup on the wheels, etc.
Another proud dues-paying member.

1987 Turbo Coupe w/T5OD, 8.8 axle, grey smoke; most options. Got it in 1991 with 41K miles: 3 turbos, 2 heater cores, 3 T5OD full rebuilds, 6 clutches, 1 head gasket, 2 Teves II ABS units, etc. later....

Rob H Offline
I don't really WANT smaller wheels, if i could get these in a 16 I would in a second. I just really like the look of them.
I'm assuming any difference in rim size could be corrected with different sized tires(in regards to throwing the speedo off) but I'm not sure about the other issues you raised. If it's a bad idea I won't do it.
I've more or less been looking for rims I can pick up on a budget that I can bolt right up to the car. I don't remember the year range but I'm pretty sure there's a decade or more of Mustang rims that should bolt up no problem. Of all the ones I've seen these are the ones I liked most. If I could have anything and make it work, I'd go for DeLorean rims though Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Kuch Offline
Those mustang wheels will bolt on the hubs with no issues, they have the same bolt pattern. There "may" be an issue with brake calipers fitting though. Not sure on that as I have not tried those smaller wheels on my 88. The question is, what year is your car? The 83-86 TC's will fit those wheels as they are the same size as the classic ten hole wheels, if you have an 87-88 with 4 wheels disc brakes, that's where I am not sure. You will not have any problems with heat build up or anything like that as these are factory Mustang wheels and they use the same differential as ours, your speedo will be off a little though, best to compare it to a phone app for speed.
1988 Turbo Coupe, Black/Black, 5 Speed, Moonroof,  T3/T4, ported E6, 255LPH, Kirban, Stinger Exhaust, MGW shifter, K&N, Gillis valve, BP1.5, PIMPx, Koni's
1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL, 390 6V, Big Solid cam, Headers,3.89's, 4 Speed, Vast and fast
1960 Ford Starliner, 292 Y Block, 312 4bbl intake, headers, 3 Speed, slow and low

Rob H Offline
My car is an 88

Kuch Offline
Well, for $100 give them a try, if they don't work, put them back on craigs.
1988 Turbo Coupe, Black/Black, 5 Speed, Moonroof,  T3/T4, ported E6, 255LPH, Kirban, Stinger Exhaust, MGW shifter, K&N, Gillis valve, BP1.5, PIMPx, Koni's
1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL, 390 6V, Big Solid cam, Headers,3.89's, 4 Speed, Vast and fast
1960 Ford Starliner, 292 Y Block, 312 4bbl intake, headers, 3 Speed, slow and low

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
I think Kuch is right about 15" wheels not clearing the front brakes on 87/88. 20 years ago when I got my TC (and was a TC nube) it didnt come with a spare tire. In my search for one I was told by multiple people here and on TF that a 15" spare wont work on the fronts. I eventually found a 16" spare spare but it was VERY hard to find, and, of course I have never needed it so far.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

V6TBird87 Offline
Posting Freak
They fit with no problems. I ran them on one of my old TCs no problem

We have the same front brakes as a Mustang GT, and those wheels come on a Mustang GT.
2018 Mustang GT
1988 Turbo Coupe, 5-speed

aka Tbird232ci

Rob H Offline
Hmmmm haha
It sounds like they definitely will or probably wont! I guess I COULD drive the Tbird there, and actually try putting one on!
Will that tell me what I need to know? Not sure if they will have rubber on them or not, so may not be able to set the car back down. I just need to slip the wheel on and see if it goes on with no interfaces?

anasazi4st Offline
(08-19-2020, 06:47 AM)Rob H Wrote: Hmmmm haha
It sounds like they definitely will or probably wont! I guess I COULD drive the Tbird there, and actually try putting one on!
Will that tell me what I need to know? Not sure if they will have rubber on them or not, so may not be able to set the car back down. I just need to slip the wheel on and see if it goes on with no interfaces?

To echo what Kuch said: if the only issue you have is the speedometer, do some research. If it is true that a Mustang GT had those wheels, then a Mustang speedo gear should fix that. Ford had several different gears with different amounts of teeth, these are distinguished by color. The TC uses a yellow gear, I have a Mustang one (I bought a T5OD from a Mustang year ago as a spare), I can try and locate it. Best though to actually look it up.

You just unplug the wiring harness, unbolt the clamp on the old one, remove it, install the other one, reverse the procedure.
Another proud dues-paying member.

1987 Turbo Coupe w/T5OD, 8.8 axle, grey smoke; most options. Got it in 1991 with 41K miles: 3 turbos, 2 heater cores, 3 T5OD full rebuilds, 6 clutches, 1 head gasket, 2 Teves II ABS units, etc. later....