North American Turbocoupe Organization

Radiator fans
Nicholas 57 Offline
I have a 88 Thunderbird and when I bought it the fans worked then one of them melted so I bought another OEM fan shroud with the blades and that one melted after I put it on a was driving for a bit the plug for the fan also melted a bit does anyone know why this is happening

Kuch Offline
Hey Nicholas, can you explain a little more detail on this melting. Is it the plug on the fan side or the wire bundle side that is melting? Is it from an electrical current kind of melt or does it look like something is coming in contact with it heat wise to melt it? Do your fans work like normal, or do you have them hot wired for continuous operation? Maybe a pic of the melted area can help us out as well. In normal operation, the fans will kick on for a few seconds at initial engine start, then stop, they will also cycle on/off when the heat/defroster is working, or they will kick on when engine temps get hot enough through the ECT switch. Get us some more info and the many experts here will help you out.
1988 Turbo Coupe, Black/Black, 5 Speed, Moonroof,  T3/T4, ported E6, 255LPH, Kirban, Stinger Exhaust, MGW shifter, K&N, Gillis valve, BP1.5, PIMPx, Koni's
1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL, 390 6V, Big Solid cam, Headers,3.89's, 4 Speed, Vast and fast
1960 Ford Starliner, 292 Y Block, 312 4bbl intake, headers, 3 Speed, slow and low

Nicholas 57 Offline
It's the oem fans and everything I think what is happening is that the plug is getting hot and is heating up the shaft of the fan motor and is melting the fan blade

Nicholas 57 Offline
I also cant figure out how to post the pictures

Jeff K Online
Administrator
No way the plug is getting hot enough to heat the shaft and melt the fan blades. If that were true, the plug would be totally melted and have gotten hot enough to start the plastic on fire.

Do the fans spin freely? After running, fans should take a few seconds to spin down to a stop. If they stop almost immediately, the motors are bad (most likely dry bearings).
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

Kuch Offline
OK wow, so the fan blades themselves are melting and not just the wiring connections at the fan? Are the fan blade tips melting, or more toward the center hub? Do a little testing by feel, run the car and turn on your A/C or defroster to run the fans, go up front and feel the connectors, these should not be getting hot, if they are, turn off your A/C or defroster for now. Do the fans run constantly when the car is running? Does the wiring look stock, or did someone make changes and hot wire them to run constantly? Easiest way I found to post pics is use my phone, email the pics to myself, save on my computer, then upload as an attachment. This way they seem to come out the correct size and post with no issues.
1988 Turbo Coupe, Black/Black, 5 Speed, Moonroof,  T3/T4, ported E6, 255LPH, Kirban, Stinger Exhaust, MGW shifter, K&N, Gillis valve, BP1.5, PIMPx, Koni's
1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL, 390 6V, Big Solid cam, Headers,3.89's, 4 Speed, Vast and fast
1960 Ford Starliner, 292 Y Block, 312 4bbl intake, headers, 3 Speed, slow and low

Nicholas 57 Offline
So what happens to the fan blades is the fan melts from the center and then it cant spin because it hits the shroud and this has happened on 2 different motors and the 2nd time it happend my plug melted a little I think it's still usable but idk and the ac one does not come on I believe can this be happening because the radiator temp sensor is bad