North American Turbocoupe Organization

Hard brake pedal
Daniel T Offline
[attachment=1507]
Can someone please tell me wht that part is called, the brakes work good but after driving a while the pedal gets hard then a few minutes later it goes back to normal, I got home and parked the car and let it cool off, then that part started to make a noise like an air compressor noise, it comes and goes ?? Thanks in advance!!

Rob H Offline
That is the accumulator, part of the braking system. Check out this link to one of technical articles, if you scroll down the article a bit there is a labeled picture. 

Troubleshooting the Teves II braking system

Daniel T Offline
Thanks u so much Rob, I'll b doing some troubleshooting tomorrow after work

anasazi4st Offline
(06-07-2020, 02:15 AM)Daniel T Wrote: Thanks u so much Rob, I'll b doing some troubleshooting tomorrow after work

DO NOT attempt to remove the Accumulator without removing the pressure within the ABS system first! There’s at least 1500 psi in there, and if you don’t relieve that pressure first, it WON’T go well.

With the ignition OFF, pump the brake pedal about 50 times (Ford’s shop manual says 20, but I still had pressure there when I tried to remove mine). Now you can remove the Accumulator with an 8mm Allen wrench socket, but be careful as there is likely still brake fluid in there, and it will ruin any paint that it contacts. Carefully examine the small O-ring that’s behind the mounting threads. If it looks okay, lubricate it with clean brake fluid and re-install the Accumulator, tighten to 30-34 ft/lbs.

If it’s missing or damaged you’ll need a new one. Dorman’s HELP! series has an assortment with at least one that will work—it’s part # 80000. (NAPA’s part number for basically the same thing is 575-1127.)

Turn on the ignition and listen for the steady hum of the pressure pump. After about 20-30 seconds (maybe a bit more) there should be a CLICK and the pump shuts off and the Accumulator is now charged.

What does it do? When you have a panic stop the system pumps the brakes FOR you, so the car doesn’t go into a skid, which often happens when the wheels lock up. The ABS system is designed to prevent that. The Accumulator has the pressure stored within it to do just that.
Another proud dues-paying member.

1987 Turbo Coupe w/T5OD, 8.8 axle, grey smoke; most options. Got it in 1991 with 41K miles: 3 turbos, 2 heater cores, 3 T5OD full rebuilds, 6 clutches, 1 head gasket, 2 Teves II ABS units, etc. later....

Daniel T Offline
I'llb doing that too..thanks for the help guys

Daniel T Offline
Try to start the car this morning but didt run, I asuming the pump ran out the battery, when I got home I jumped the battery and let it charge then turn it off and I heard the pump running, I disconected the realy and the pump shut off, I tested the terminal by jumping the two wires and the pump turned on, can it b the relay?

vegas_ss Offline
(06-08-2020, 01:15 AM)Daniel T Wrote: Try to start the car this morning but didt run, I asuming the pump ran out the battery, when I got home I jumped the battery and let it charge then turn it off and I heard the pump running, I disconected the realy and the pump shut off, I tested the terminal by jumping the two wires and the pump turned on, can it b the relay?

Relay is stuck on... Tap it with a screwdriver handle or something similar and it may shut off but will be problematic in the future.  Replacement is needed.

Rockauto - Standard RY223
1987 TC, 5sp, Boport Stage 3 Head/2.1 Cam
1996 Impala SS, DCM, Borla Cat Back, too much other stuff!!! (SOLD)
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 6M, 6.2l LS3, Kooks Long Tube, Hi Flo Cats, Mild Cam

Rob H Offline
Yep I'll second that, known issue. Dealing with it myself while waiting for replacement relay.
I'll find i turn the car off and hear the motor running.
I just rap my knuckles on the box the relay is in and it stops.
Definitely will drain your battery if you don't stop it. Disconnect your battery for now if it won't stop

Daniel T Offline
Thank u so much for the help guys,!! I'll b ordering that relay, and yes as soon as I got to work I open the hood and disconected the battery