North American Turbocoupe Organization

Opportunity to grab turbos(s)
Rob H Offline
Hey hoping to get some quick thoughts.
Someone has posted a bunch of stuff on Kijii close to me. If you think parts are hard to get in the US you should try Canada!
They have two turbos. Looking at the signatures of many on the forum, it looks like having a spare turbo around might be a good idea.
They have an IHI from 88  same as the 87 right?
They also have a Ford T3 Garret
And decent prices i think. Also got a nice looking rocker panel cover.  And some sweet turbo headers. Sway bars. Turbo Manifold.
I'm hoping to take a ride over in the next couple days. Maybe I'll wait until after Tuesday when my exhaust goes on.
He says the ihi has a bit of shaft play but was working great before removal.
T3 has very minimal the ad says.
If i was going to grab one for a back up which should i grab? He's asking 100 for the ihi. 125 for t3 (CDN$)
Maybe even grab them both.
If you click on the links should take you to the ad. Somewhere near his name should be a link to see his other listing. Check it out let me know what you think if you could. I just dont know whats worth what.

Kuch Offline
Hey Rob, I took a look at his listings, and some good stuff there. I would grab the T3 for sure. Do you have an 87-88TC? I would also grab the Super Coupe throttle body. I also like the PBR calipers and the stock E6 manifold.
1988 Turbo Coupe, Black/Black, 5 Speed, Moonroof,  T3/T4, ported E6, 255LPH, Kirban, Stinger Exhaust, MGW shifter, K&N, Gillis valve, BP1.5, PIMPx, Koni's
1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL, 390 6V, Big Solid cam, Headers,3.89's, 4 Speed, Vast and fast
1960 Ford Starliner, 292 Y Block, 312 4bbl intake, headers, 3 Speed, slow and low

Pete D Offline
Administrator
The T3 is a little bigger than the IHI and as such, a little slower spooling but nothing to get bummed about. It is a popular replacement for the IHI. Header could be a nice addition if they are not a constant repair item. Shaft play in the IHI means rebuild, I don't care how well it ran the last time it was installed. It may be a good deal at the right price. The 87 and the 88 IHI are basically the same. Be sure to check the play in the T3 also. It could be another rebuild also. Check for end play and side play.
Pete Dunham

anasazi4st Offline
(05-31-2020, 02:35 PM)Pete D Wrote: The T3 is a little bigger than the IHI and as such, a little slower spooling but nothing to get bummed about. It is a popular replacement for the IHI. Header could be a nice addition if they are not a constant repair item. Shaft play in the IHI means rebuild, I don't care how well it ran the last time it was installed. It may be a good deal at the right price. The 87 and the 88 IHI are basically the same. Be sure to check the play in the T3 also. It could be another rebuild also. Check for end play and side play.

I agree with Pete. While the IHI replacement is not the most difficult job ever (I’d say it’s a 6 or 7 out of 10), there is a lot of work under the car. To get to the various nuts and fittings you’ll need to remove the exhaust pipe, starter, and at least move the front crossmember, and there’s oil lines and coolant lines and several stubborn nuts to remove. I mention this because this is NOT something you’ll want to do more than say every 10 years, which is about how long turbochargers have lasted on average for me, and I like to think I take good care of them—no immediate shutdown after acceleration, Mobil 1 oil and filter changes at sensible intervals, no extended overboosting.

I have successfully rebuilt 2 IHI turbos—one is sitting on the shelf waiting for its turn, the other is in use right now. I found it to be an enjoyable job (except for separating the turbine housing from the main section—UGH), and I would not hesitate to do it again. There are kits available for under $50 on eBay that will provide you with all that you need; just simple tools are required. You’ll also need these excellent instructions. I know the author is rebuilding it for an Isuzu/LOTUS, but it’s the SAME EXACT IHI turbo that many of us have, the RHB5. I’ve followed his advice and have had great results.

Don’t mess with shaft play. The turbo impeller and turbine can spin at speeds up to 150,000 per minute; what do you think happens when either of those make contact with something, which is only a matter of time? As the saying goes, it’ll spoil your day. You don’t want to drive a Turbo Coupe without a functioning turbo—I have. It took considerable effort to get to 35 mph. These cars are far too heavy to be powered by just a four cylinder engine.
Another proud dues-paying member.

1987 Turbo Coupe w/T5OD, 8.8 axle, grey smoke; most options. Got it in 1991 with 41K miles: 3 turbos, 2 heater cores, 3 T5OD full rebuilds, 6 clutches, 1 head gasket, 2 Teves II ABS units, etc. later....

Kuch Offline
Yes to all above. The T3 he has listed is a .48 housing so slower spools should be minimal and still make more power. I replaced my IHI for a T3/T4 last summer following the write up here in the tech section. I did not remove my starter or cross member. I disconnected the downpipe and the four nuts holding the turbo to the manifold. The oil drain line can be a PITA though, should get a new one from Stinger as the old one will probably break. My stock intercooler still connected up, water lines and I used a new feed line from Stinger as well. What year car are you looking to use parts on?
1988 Turbo Coupe, Black/Black, 5 Speed, Moonroof,  T3/T4, ported E6, 255LPH, Kirban, Stinger Exhaust, MGW shifter, K&N, Gillis valve, BP1.5, PIMPx, Koni's
1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL, 390 6V, Big Solid cam, Headers,3.89's, 4 Speed, Vast and fast
1960 Ford Starliner, 292 Y Block, 312 4bbl intake, headers, 3 Speed, slow and low

Rob H Offline
My car is an 87, all stock.
I did end up taking a drive over to meet him. He says he has a couple more ihi still on engines but hasn't taken them off yet.
I did go for the drive yesterday, more to just meet and ogle each others cars. Never met someone in person with the turbo coupe. Said it was a first for him too, at least a runnig one.
We talked for a couple hours while I was there, decided in the end to hold out for an ihi. I think he understood my skill level, and wasn't worried about selling me anything. Kind of talked me out of it. He's got loads of parts!
Interesting setup he has. Even has a methanol tank in his trunk which if I understood correctly he injects under boost!