North American Turbocoupe Organization

Moog CC821 lowering spring update...
Kuch Offline
I have been researching good ways to lower the 88 TC about an inch and have read all of the discussions about SN95 springs. I picked up some 04 GT convertible springs both front and rears and installed them on the 88. The fronts I had to cut half a coil to get it to sit right, easy enough. The rears I had to use a 3/4" spacer to make up for the shorter springs, it sat right at 26" to the fender well, perfect. But, the SN95 rear springs are way to low of a load rating for our cars and it felt like bottoming out on every little bump or dip in the road. I was not satisfied with them so after some research I found that Moog makes some coils for the old Granada and LTD line from the 70's and 80's, Same dimensions, same mounting, but have a higher load rating and spring rate, plus they have a 1" lower installed height compared to the stock TC rears. I bought a set off the Bay for $46 brand new in the box and just installed them last night along with some Koni orange shocks. These are installed with no spacers, isolators, or cuts on the spring, sits right at 26" to the fender well. Took it for a ride and no bottoming out. Thought I would pass along the info as I know many on here want to lower theirs as well. I am keeping these installed. So to cap, fronts are stock 04 GT convertible springs, cut half coil and no isos, rears are new Moog CC821's not cut, no isos.

Attached Files Image(s)

1988 Turbo Coupe, Black/Black, 5 Speed, Moonroof,  T3/T4, ported E6, 255LPH, Kirban, Stinger Exhaust, MGW shifter, K&N, Gillis valve, BP1.5, PIMPx, Koni's
1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL, 390 6V, Big Solid cam, Headers,3.89's, 4 Speed, Vast and fast
1960 Ford Starliner, 292 Y Block, 312 4bbl intake, headers, 3 Speed, slow and low
347BIRD, Daniel T, Mikey97D and 1 others like this post

Mikey97D Offline
Nice! Thank you for the update.

I have those springs waiting to go in with my CHE lower control arms (adjustable). How do the Koni Orange compare to the original shocks/struts? Are the orange adjustable in the valving at all?
1988 TC, 5 spd, Stinger 3" Exhaust, Schneider Roller Cam, -4° Cam Pulley, Cone Filter, Gilles Boost Control Valve set at 17 psi, Walbro 255 lph, CHE Rear Lower and Upper Control Arms, Braided Brake Lines, Hawk HPS 5.0 Front and HPS (F) Rear, CRES Inserts in front calipers, and '93 Cobra Wheels with General 235/50R17 Tires.   

Kuch Offline
Mike,

I had what look like replacement Motorcraft PRC's in the 88, see the pics for details. not sure if the originals would have the motorcraft label or not, but the Koni's have a stiffer ride compared to the PRC's on firm but they are not adjustable. I was tempted to get the Koni yellows which are adjustable, but I didn't want to go through the hassle of finding the best setting. I like the orange Koni's much better than the KYB's I had on a previous TC as well.

Attached Files Image(s)

1988 Turbo Coupe, Black/Black, 5 Speed, Moonroof,  T3/T4, ported E6, 255LPH, Kirban, Stinger Exhaust, MGW shifter, K&N, Gillis valve, BP1.5, PIMPx, Koni's
1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL, 390 6V, Big Solid cam, Headers,3.89's, 4 Speed, Vast and fast
1960 Ford Starliner, 292 Y Block, 312 4bbl intake, headers, 3 Speed, slow and low
347BIRD and Mikey97D like this post