North American Turbocoupe Organization

steering rack
w60 Offline
my rack has a pretty big leak and I plan to remove it and do some fixing and replacing.

Where should I put jack stands so they aren't in the way?
http://www.mycoachonline.com
White 88 TC Auto Trans
White 04 Honda CR/V
Blue 74 Honda Trail 70

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
Replaced my rack about a year ago. I put the jack stands at the ends of the K member where the control arms attach. A rack change on FOX platform cars is pretty easy.

New rack bushings and new pressure and return lines are a good idea and also a PS filter in the return line. Rock Auto had pressure and return lines and I already had a Magnapure filter in the old return line that I switched to the new return line.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

88chickentc Offline
Does anyone have a recommendation on a quality aftermarket rack for an 88?  Rockauto has one from BBB Industries for $250 or so, but I've never heard of them.  Griggs Racing used to list one, but their website isn't user friendly for me today.  All Advance had listed was Cardone rebuilds.  What has worked for you guys?
1931 Deluxe Coupe
1949 Club Coupe
1951 F-1
1971 Torino GT Convertible
1988 Thunderbird Turbocoupe

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
I suggest staying away from a remanufactured rack, as lots of reman parts are junk these days.

When I did the rack in my 88 a few years ago, I picked up a NEW Cardone rack from rock Auto along with a new pressure line and new return line. I seem to remember cost for the rack and pressure and return lines came to around $250 including shipping. The Cardone rack has performed perfectly sine it was installed. I also put in a cheapo fin and tube PS cooler from Ebay when I replaced the rack.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized