North American Turbocoupe Organization

What are these cars actually worth.
Jnrscaping Offline
So I am new to the group and I wanted to throw this out there. First of all psyched as hell that there are still some turbo coupe enthusiasts left. I’m 34 years old and this was my first car inherited from my parents. It was garage kept and in pristine condition until they gave it to me as a first time driver (big mistake lol). Now the question is I know we all love these cars but I really want un -biased opinions here. I don’t want to know what we as enthusiasts would pay for this car but what the actual value is. Most do not see this car as desirable or on the same level as the mustang. So here it goes: Let’s assume an 88 turbo coupe with all the bells and whistles. Ie manual, equalizer control for radio, premium/regular fuel button, steering damper button, lumbar support etc etc fully loaded for lack of a better term with only 50-60k miles on it. Is it actually worth 5,10k...? Again please try and be as unbiased as possible as I know we all live these cars. Again not what we would pay but what the actual worth is. Thanks I’m advance. 

Robby

anasazi4st Offline
(03-05-2020, 05:04 AM)Jnrscaping Wrote: So I am new to the group and I wanted to throw this out there. First of all psyched as hell that there are still some turbo coupe enthusiasts left. I’m 34 years old and this was my first car inherited from my parents. It was garage kept and in pristine condition until they gave it to me as a first time driver (big mistake lol). Now the question is I know we all love these cars but I really want un -biased opinions here. I don’t want to know what we as enthusiasts would pay for this car but what the actual value is. Most do not see this car as desirable or on the same level as the mustang. So here it goes: Let’s assume an 88 turbo coupe with all the bells and whistles. Ie manual, equalizer control for radio, premium/regular fuel button, steering damper button, lumbar support etc etc fully loaded for lack of a better term with only 50-60k miles on it. Is it actually worth 5,10k...? Again please try and be as unbiased as possible as I know we all live these cars. Again not what we would pay but what the actual worth is. Thanks I’m advance. 

Robby
We get this question on here from time to time. I’m not going to go on a rant about “It’s worth what you would be willing to pay for it”; or that these cars were made for only two years, have a variety of innovative features not found on other models around this model year, and so on. And on.

Consider the Ford Edsel, or the Chevrolet Corvair. Two models that were highly ridiculed or (in the Corvair’s case) soon driven out of production due to what were considered to be a flawed engineering designs (Ralph Nader’s book, “Unsafe At Any Speed”). Still, both are very rare and usually sell for upwards of 5 figures, or much more.

Still, if you find yourself the owner of a Turbo Coupe through inheritance or what looks like a smokin’ deal, it would be nice to know what it’s worth. Also, so you know how much to put into it for a return on investment.

I think many (if not most of us) on here genuinely love these cars (1984-88, some more than others) and are less concerned about their actual value, unless we need to part with one.

All this being said: according to this site, a 1987 Turbo Coupe in Good Condition is worth about $8000; one in Fair Condition, $4000. The link is to Hemmings Motor News, which in turn sends you to Hagerty’s, an insurer of antique and classic cars. Safe to say, if yours is low mileage as you say and all else is good, it’s probably much more.

Of course this is just a rough estimate. But, there you go.
Another proud dues-paying member.

1987 Turbo Coupe w/T5OD, 8.8 axle, grey smoke; most options. Got it in 1991 with 41K miles: 3 turbos, 2 heater cores, 3 T5OD full rebuilds, 6 clutches, 1 head gasket, 2 Teves II ABS units, etc. later....

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
^^^^^ Agreed

FYI, I have both my 88 TC and 86 Tbird 5.0 insured for an agreed value of $10,000 each on my classic car insurance and the insurance company didnt bat an eyelash when I told them $10K each.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

Jnrscaping Offline
(03-05-2020, 01:22 PM)Jeff K Wrote: ^^^^^ Agreed

FYI, I have both my 88 TC and 86 Tbird 5.0 insured for an agreed value of $10,000 each on my classic car insurance and the insurance company didnt bat an eyelash when I told them $10K each.
Thank you. Appreciate you guys taking the time out to answer. Actually my father junked mine without me knowing it a few years back. We had left it at a workers house and the landlord forced us to get rid of it. It needed a lot of work; I hadn’t checked the value in a while (I’d say 4-5 years and at the time you could still find them for 2-3k) and yesterday I looked online and people are asking as high as 20k. Couldnt believe my eyes. It seems the values have skyrocketed out of no where. 

in your guys’ opinion do you see the value continue to rise? I hate when people say “well it’s not a mustang) even though those are generally people who don’t know a lot about cars or maybe these type of cars.

andrewjs18 Offline
Administrator
one in decent shape with no or very minimal rust and with decent interior can probably fetch $1,000-$1,500, depending on where you live. That number will probably be higher if you're trying to find one in that condition in areas where it snows and they salt the roads a bit..

mine, with the amount of work I have done to it, I wouldn't let it go for anything less than probably $8,000..

anasazi4st Offline
(03-05-2020, 04:37 PM)Jnrscaping Wrote:
(03-05-2020, 01:22 PM)Jeff K Wrote: ^^^^^ Agreed

Thank you. Appreciate you guys taking the time out to answer. Actually my father junked mine without me knowing it a few years back. We had left it at a workers house and the landlord forced us to get rid of it. It needed a lot of work; I hadn’t checked the value in a while (I’d say 4-5 years and at the time you could still find them for 2-3k) and yesterday I looked online and people are asking as high as 20k. Couldnt believe my eyes. It seems the values have skyrocketed out of no where. 

in your guys’ opinion do you see the value continue to rise? I hate when people say “well it’s not a mustang) even though those are generally people who don’t know a lot about cars or maybe these type of cars.

I think it will only go up in value. What happens is that the price starts to climb when there are fewer and fewer that are still running and actually driveable, which is probably true to some degree for anything else as well.

I seem to recall looking up prices in the early 2000s and being discouraged. I think at one point mine was worth less than $1000 (according to Edmunds I believe).

I also live in road-salt-free Arizona. Despite that, I can’t tell you the last time I saw another Turbo Coupe of ANY year on the road here—or even any Fox-body Thunderbird for that matter.
Another proud dues-paying member.

1987 Turbo Coupe w/T5OD, 8.8 axle, grey smoke; most options. Got it in 1991 with 41K miles: 3 turbos, 2 heater cores, 3 T5OD full rebuilds, 6 clutches, 1 head gasket, 2 Teves II ABS units, etc. later....