North American Turbocoupe Organization

Fuel tank sending unit
ABird Offline
Hi, I need to replace the fuel tank.  I was able to find the tank, fuel pump assy with sock, but I'm having trouble finding a sending unit.  I'm pretty sure that mine is bad.  I get low fuel light on display and gauge registers empty.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.
AES

84TBirdTurbo42 Offline
I'm going to buy this, and look into modifying it to hopefully match the one that came out of my tank. Whether that be using my old arm, swapping parts, etc. As far as plug and play, there is none. https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9275A/Mustang-F...Unit-83-86
Chris Perry
1984 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. Dead, NY rot killed her
1986 Thunderbird shell, swapping parts from the 84.

ABird Offline
(02-16-2020, 12:40 PM)84TBirdTurbo42 Wrote: I'm going to buy this, and look into modifying it to hopefully match the one that came out of my tank. Whether that be using my old arm, swapping parts, etc. As far as plug and play, there is none. https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9275A/Mustang-F...Unit-83-86
Thanks Chris, I was looking at the same site, just the the 87-97 version.  I was also considering checking the junkyard.  Please send update with the results of your experiment.
AES

84TBirdTurbo42 Offline
Will do, I may make a short YouTube video to help if all goes well
Chris Perry

ABird Offline
(02-17-2020, 01:41 PM)84TBirdTurbo42 Wrote: Will do, I may make a short YouTube video to help if all goes well
Hi Chris,
     Mine is missing the float, so I looked for just a float and found this.  Going to order and let you know.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cin-sn33f
Thanks
AES

84TBirdTurbo42 Offline
Ok, so I did work on this. I ended up just putting the Mustang sender in for now. I’m sure it won’t be accurate, but it’ll give me an idea anyways. There was no good way to make it work even with the tbird float
Chris Perry

ABird Offline
(02-23-2020, 12:49 AM)84TBirdTurbo42 Wrote: Ok, so I did work on this. I ended up just putting the Mustang sender in for now. I’m sure it won’t be accurate, but it’ll give me an idea anyways. There was no good way to make it work even with the tbird float
Thanks Chris, at least it's an option.  Maybe you can tell how accurate it is.  It seems to me that you could fill the empty tank with a gallon or 2, then keep adding a gallon at a time to see when it starts to register.  I don't have an update on my end, still waiting on the new fuel tank.
AES

Kuch Offline
You could also bend the arm which holds the float to have it read at a different level. I used to do this with some of my old Galaxies to get the gauge to read accurately. It would require a lot of filling, checking gauge, draining, bending, refilling, rechecking, but you can get it pretty much perfect.
1988 Turbo Coupe, Black/Black, 5 Speed, Moonroof,  T3/T4, ported E6, 255LPH, Kirban, Stinger Exhaust, MGW shifter, K&N, Gillis valve, BP1.5, PIMPx, Koni's
1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL, 390 6V, Big Solid cam, Headers,3.89's, 4 Speed, Vast and fast
1960 Ford Starliner, 292 Y Block, 312 4bbl intake, headers, 3 Speed, slow and low

John B Offline
I know of some people here on the forums that used a ford tempo assembly from 85-87 which are available on rockauto. I have everything to go to a fuel cell setup but due to time constraints with projects before Ford Nationals this year, I will also be replacing the fuel tank with a new tempo assembly and an in-tank walbro 255 pump. I don't mean to hijack this thread but is there a write up on swapping in the 255 pump somewhere? I did a search but couldn't find anything.
88 Turbo Coupe: Front mount intercooler, MGW short throw shifter, full coilover conversion, tubular control arms front and rear, svo front brakes, vacuum assist brake swap, manual steering swap, GT35R turbo with external gate, pimpx ecu, 60lb injectors, 3 core aluminum radiator, Boport 1.5 cam, gutted upper, corbeau fixed back seats, and the list goes on.

Mikey97D Offline
Took a bit of searching but I found the thread with the list.  Thanks Jeff K.
Look at post #3
https://turbotbird.com/thread-fuel-gauge...t=resistor

edit: helps when i put the link in, doh!
1988 TC, 5 spd, Stinger 3" Exhaust, Schneider Roller Cam, -4° Cam Pulley, Cone Filter, Gilles Boost Control Valve set at 17 psi, Walbro 255 lph, CHE Rear Lower and Upper Control Arms, Braided Brake Lines, Hawk HPS 5.0 Front and HPS (F) Rear, CRES Inserts in front calipers, and '93 Cobra Wheels with General 235/50R17 Tires.