North American Turbocoupe Organization

T-3 Turbo
Entropy1988 Offline
Are T-3's still in production ?  Are they equipped with water cooling ?  Where can they be obtained ?  Can't seem to find any too readily.

andrewjs18 Offline
Administrator
(01-30-2020, 04:07 AM)Entropy1988 Wrote: Are T-3's still in production ?  Are they equipped with water cooling ?  Where can they be obtained ?  Can't seem to find any too readily.

not sure if you're wanting a garrett t3 specifically or not, but RDOG (Chip) sells new Chinese turbos with stronger internals: https://bigrmotorsports.com/

Mikey97D Offline
(01-30-2020, 09:29 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote:
(01-30-2020, 04:07 AM)Entropy1988 Wrote: Are T-3's still in production ?  Are they equipped with water cooling ?  Where can they be obtained ?  Can't seem to find any too readily.

not sure if you're wanting a garrett t3 specifically or not, but RDOG (Chip) sells new Chinese turbos with stronger internals: https://bigrmotorsports.com/
I was tempted to buy one of his, but his are not water cooled (my car is an '88). 
He's selling them for less than I can get my IHI rebuilt, but I really would like to stay water cooled.

Entropy - I did some searching on ebay for water cooled T3's with mixed results.  Not sure they were really T3's?
1988 TC, 5 spd, Stinger 3" Exhaust, Schneider Roller Cam, -4° Cam Pulley, Cone Filter, Gilles Boost Control Valve set at 17 psi, Walbro 255 lph, CHE Rear Lower and Upper Control Arms, Braided Brake Lines, Hawk HPS 5.0 Front and HPS (F) Rear, CRES Inserts in front calipers, and '93 Cobra Wheels with General 235/50R17 Tires.   
MyRedCoupe likes this post

Cleven Offline
I been thinking of pulling the trigger on one of the big R. I am just waiting to find some actual install pics and to see someone that has one installed and drive there car some what on a regular basses.

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
20 years ago I bought a brand new .48 A/R water cooled T3 from Performance Techniques. No clue if they are still around. I think it was $650 or so. I run 24 psi boost with methanol injection. The turbo still works perfectly after 110K miles. I did have to fab up new water cooling lines with fittings, etc from the hardware store.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

spittinfire Offline
(12-26-2021, 02:31 AM)Cleven Wrote: I been thinking of pulling the trigger on one of the big R. I am just waiting to find some actual install pics and to see someone that has one installed and drive there car some what on a regular basses.

Big R turbos are Chinese turbos that he pulls apart and puts a Garrett rebuild kit in.  I'm not saying they aren't any good and I'm not saying that what he does isn't an improvement to them.  I would just caution you against using an inexpensive turbo for several reasons but the main two are that they typically aren't as efficient and they usually don't last long.  You can get a new Garrett T3/T4 for $750 or do what I did and troll for a good used one.  Even a used name brand turbo can be sent back to be refurbished if need be, you can't do that with an off shore unit.  
I considered using a Big R turbo until I saw what used turbos were selling for so I just waited until the right one came along.  For $400 I got a very clean Turbonetics T3/T4 in the specs I wanted which I was able to confirm with Turbonetics with the serial number.

As far as water cooling is concerned I'm not aware of any current production turbos that are water cooled.  I personally do not feel it is needed with modern oils and if you're smart about how you drive.  Don't get the turbo hot and then just shut it off, let it idle for a few minutes to cool or drive around without getting into much boost for a little.  That's the biggest benefit I see to water cooling a turbo.

Cleven Offline
(12-27-2021, 04:41 PM)spittinfire Wrote:
(12-26-2021, 02:31 AM)Cleven Wrote: I been thinking of pulling the trigger on one of the big R. I am just waiting to find some actual install pics and to see someone that has one installed and drive there car some what on a regular basses.

Big R turbos are Chinese turbos that he pulls apart and puts a Garrett rebuild kit in.  I'm not saying they aren't any good and I'm not saying that what he does isn't an improvement to them.  I would just caution you against using an inexpensive turbo for several reasons but the main two are that they typically aren't as efficient and they usually don't last long.  You can get a new Garrett T3/T4 for $750 or do what I did and troll for a good used one.  Even a used name brand turbo can be sent back to be refurbished if need be, you can't do that with an off shore unit.  
I considered using a Big R turbo until I saw what used turbos were selling for so I just waited until the right one came along.  For $400 I got a very clean Turbonetics T3/T4 in the specs I wanted which I was able to confirm with Turbonetics with the serial number.

As far as water cooling is concerned I'm not aware of any current production turbos that are water cooled.  I personally do not feel it is needed with modern oils and if you're smart about how you drive.  Don't get the turbo hot and then just shut it off, let it idle for a few minutes to cool or drive around without getting into much boost for a little.  That's the biggest benefit I see to water cooling a turbo.

Im still doing research. LOTS of it. My power goals aren't high by any means. Its just that these cars are 1988 fast and the stats of them are lacking when compared to the average car now a days. Just adding some up to date power and refresh the motor. Im keeping this car for ever so might as well update it with the times. Took me 20 years to get another thunderbird and im gonna treat it like a queen

Cleven Offline
From all the research iv been doing the main thing is making up a oil drain for the turbo and getting the right turbo that you can clock how you need it. If you have a local place that can maybe make you steel braded hose with fittings on the ends your turbo choices are wide. Depending on your money and know how of course lol

Chas K 88 Offline
Cleven I think I'm in the same boat as you, I'm contemplating a new T3/T4 turbo. The challenges for me are how to hook up the breather hose that goes from the inlet to the valve cover and the vacuum line for cruise. Both of which currently go to fittings on the inlet. With a T3/T4 those fittings don't exist so some engineering will have to happen.
As for oil lines, they aren't too hard to find, Stinger has them or you could build your own AN lines, sourcing the parts from Jegs or Summit and your local hardware store. I replaced the entire fuel system from the tank to engine and back on my 88 mustang, building each hose as I went, it's actually easy to do.
Maybe I should just take out a loan and get the PiMPx, T3/T4 and new exhaust all at the same time and do it right. The cars just sitting in my shop waiting on warmer weather anyway.
Good luck to ya.
Chas K
Current setup - 88 T-bird, 5 speed, vacuum assist master cylinder, T3/T4 50 trim turbo from Bo-port, oil feed & return lines, 3” turbo down elbow, 3" to 2.5" dual exhaust and PiMPx from Stinger 255LPH fuel pump, CD, trip-minder, RR , K&N, 140 MPH speedo conversion (thanks Jeff K).

BradM Offline
In another thread I describe my set-up for those two lines. Blocking off cruise control line has no effect on operation. Breather hose can go anywhere on the inlet side of the turbo. There is no need to drill/tap the turbo housing. As for the oil line, I was able to re-use the OEM line when using the Gnari manifold and Garrett T3/T4. Stinger does offer the line but they couldn't confirm it works with the Gnari manifold.
1965 Mercury Comet Caliente; 1968 Mercury Monterey; 1969 F100 Ranger; 1982 Mustang; 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe; 2017 Police Interceptor