North American Turbocoupe Organization

spring rate questions......
spittinfire Offline
(12-08-2021, 03:15 PM)Mikey97D Wrote:
(12-05-2021, 03:00 PM)spittinfire Wrote: I bought urethane isolaters for both front and rear springs so I should be able to help with the rear height a little bit there.  I have UMI upper and lower control arms that I'm going to be putting on but they do not have height adjustability like the Maximum motorsports arms.  UMI has what they call their roto-joint which allows the suspension to move without binding the bushing.  Other companies offer similar arms but these looked like the best option and still allowed a stock style spring. 
I had to use adjustable upper and lower arms because the length for the applications they offered was not 100% correct but with the adjustable length you can get there and be safely within the range of the arm.

Just checking that the upper and lower rear control arms are for a Thunderbird not a Mustang?  Mustang are too short.

They are for a Mustang but they are adjustable in length and the roto-joint adds some length to them as well.  I have a friend that is an engineer at UMI so I sent him all the lengths and bushing dimensions to make sure they would work.  I can post pictures when I get them installed which I hope to be soon.
Mikey97D and raingram70 like this post

88chickentc Offline
(12-04-2021, 04:37 PM)Kuch Wrote: Funny you should ask that about Mach 1 springs, I just bought me a set about a month ago and plan on swapping them into mine in the spring to see how they look. I do have maximum motorsports adjustable rear control arms to adjust the height as the Mach's are lowered from a stock SN-95 spring. If you do not have adjustable control arms, my thought is they would be too low in the back.

Kuch: I'm curious what you final spring set-up is.  Are you running BBK up front?  How about the rears?  Did you get the 1" drop you were looking for?
1931 Deluxe Coupe
1949 Club Coupe
1951 F-1
1971 Torino GT Convertible
1988 Thunderbird Turbocoupe

Kuch Offline
My "final", as of now is BMR SP028 fronts, not cut with a 1/4" Steeda spacer installed and ISOs. Rear are Mach 1 not cut with no ISOs and MM adjustable lower control arms. You can see how it looks like in this thread, https://turbotbird.com/thread-suspension...inal-shots. I kind of think the front is a tad too low and I may install the Mach 1 fronts to see how they sit. The Mach 1 rears are a tad lower than the Moog CC821's and not really an improvement over the Moog's, so I suggest the 821's as a good rear lowering spring. The front BMR's may run a little too low, but the Steeda spacer brings it back up about perfect.
1988 Turbo Coupe, Black/Black, 5 Speed, Moonroof,  T3/T4, ported E6, 255LPH, Kirban, Stinger Exhaust, MGW shifter, K&N, Gillis valve, BP1.5, PIMPx, Koni's
1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL, 390 6V, Big Solid cam, Headers,3.89's, 4 Speed, Vast and fast
1960 Ford Starliner, 292 Y Block, 312 4bbl intake, headers, 3 Speed, slow and low
88chickentc likes this post

spittinfire Offline
If you go to this thread you can see what my car looks like with Mach 1 coils front and rear. The front has isolators and the rear has isolators and a 3/4" spring spacer on the top. I think the rear could come down a little but without the spacer it was too low.

https://turbotbird.com/thread-almost-finished-my-car