North American Turbocoupe Organization

Raffles - PayPal
fred k Offline
Been ripped off by PayPal so I no longer have it. Guess that eliminates me from any of the raffles. humph!
fred l kennedy

martin0660 Offline
Posting Freak
I look at paypal as a neccasary evil for eBay and Internet transactions. I would much rather send a money order for most stuff, but it not prefered by some.

I also try not to use PayPal. I had $10 "cash" in my account from a part I sent someone, or else I wouldnt have been able to get in on that either. My account is set up on a credit card that I only use for this type of stuff, and it seems you cant use that type of paypal either??

JohnL Offline
I don't know what to say man, but I've heard that from others. What did they do? Did they lock your account while there was money in it?
John Lewis
88 TC, 87 XR, 84 SVO
Currently deciding which is worth my time.

JohnL Offline
Yeah, my account is based out of my checking which has to be verified in the Paypal account verification.
John Lewis
88 TC, 87 XR, 84 SVO
Currently deciding which is worth my time.

turbokev Offline
A note about raffles and using PayPal..

I raffled off some rare Hot Wheels on another forum.. $10 per chance, 50 chances sold.

Everyone sent in their PayPal and put something like "raffle cars" or "for the raffle" in the subject line of the paymnent.

Well, the raffle went off without a hitch and the winners were thrilled..

2 weeks later I get an email from PayPal telling me my account has been suspended for violating their policies.. Turns out, you can't use PayPal for raffles!!!

Now, obviously there is a way around this.. you just don't use the word RAFFLE or LOTTERY in anything that goes to PayPal..I'm sure they are just running a script looking for certain words.

So, when everyone sends in payment for this NATO raffle, you might want to make sure everyone who sends in payment just marks it as 'NATO' or something like that..

------------------
Kev Schofield
86 TC, 50K
----------------
85, 86 & 88
(former TC's)

[This message has been edited by turbokev (edited 10-08-2005).]
Kev Schofield
1989 Corvette
----------------

85, 2x86, 87 & 88
(former TC's)
----------------

Glenn 88TC Offline
Posting Freak
Credit cards are not excepted because thyer require then upgraded account setup which Paypal takes 2.9% plus $.30 of every money received transaction whether it is a CC payment or not. That would have eaten away the proceeds that were going to NATO.
NO TC and NO headaches.

martin0660 Offline
Posting Freak
Glenn, I clearly understand why this was set up the way it is, and it is perfectly understandable. What I dont understand is how to set-up may PayPal account so I can participate in the future [Image: biggrin.gif]

Like I said, I dont use it very often, and it was absolute coincidence that someone sent me $10 to that account so I had it there. This was the first time I ever got money sent to me. If I had more in that account, I would have bought more chances on the wideband [Image: wink.gif] If there is something that can be done, I will buy another chance, I want a WB, and will be buying one for the new project anyway.

Bob Myers

ERIC J snowbird Offline
Posting Freak
First I want to say- Good job Glenn,I think this raffle is a great idea. I hope it's success leads to more.
I realize it would be impossible to use money orders to conduct this raffle. I'm also very aware of the cost of credit cards to retailers. A big portion of our transactions are done with plastic. And the card companies take their percentage. This is however the cost of doing business. From what it looks like more raffle tickets could be sold if credit cards could be used. Would this not generate the additional revenue to cover the costs? Just a thought.

------------------
Eric J
Proud NATO member(However, I'm very suspicious of any organization that would accept me as a member)
88 TC 5spd (...the Albatross about my neck was hung...S.T.Coleridge)
01 F250 SD powerstroke(turbo deezill)
05 Buick Terazza(wife's)
'Keep yer touque on,Eh!'

[This message has been edited by ERIC J snowbird (edited 10-08-2005).]
- ERIC J
87 Black 5speed, 88 Black 5speed.

Pete D Offline
Administrator
Guys, we set this up the way it is for two reasons. 1. To minimize expenses, both for us and for participants if we didn't sell enough tickets. 2. Minimize the hassel factor for everybody, like with checks and money order and wait time for the post office mail system.

Why Pay Pal but no credit cards. Because Pay Pal charges the party RECEIVING money on a CC tranaction. Last time I looked at my account it was 2.9% + $0.30 for the transaction. And if we had to use a CC to return your money if we didn't sell enough tickets to make a raffle viable, guess what? You would get nicked to, assuming you had the type of account that allows CCs. that might not make some people too happy.

So we made it a cash only (through Pay Pal) to skip the side charges.

I'll leave it to your imagination as far as the hassle and wait of doing money orders or cashiers checks. And the reverse hassle if we had to return each individual money.

When I set up my first Pay Pal account, I had to let them have access to a bank account and that was the only initial option. After I did so much $$s in tranactions I could then tie the account to a credit card, but had to take specific actions each transaction to have the credit card used instead of the bank account. Then ON a personal account they were nicking the RECEIVER close to 10%. I upgraded to some kind of business account where the surcharges are lower. So the way it works now is if I buy something it uses funds in the account first. Then it will go for the bank account unless I take seperate actions to tell them to use the credit card. There are no charges to send money as I understand it, only to receive money via credit card.

I don't know if Pay Pal still requires access to a bank account to set up an account with them or not. I set up my initial account several years ago.
Pete Dunham

fred k Offline
Quote:Originally posted by Glenn 88TC:
Credit cards are not excepted because thyer require then upgraded account setup which Paypal takes 2.9% plus $.30 of every money received transaction whether it is a CC payment or not. That would have eaten away the proceeds that were going to NATO.

I didn't mean to raise such a stink. Finally a job and money, which is something new in awhile. First to Pete and Glenn, raffles, very good idea, I like it. I assumed PayPal was chosen because of ease of use and for a financial reason also. I agree, money orders, personal checks, CCs would be cumbersome and I don't have an answer. Oh, by the way I wasn't upset and probably should have added some of these [Image: biggrin.gif] [Image: biggrin.gif] [Image: biggrin.gif] in my originaly message.

PayPal, what happened - No Buyer Protection!
Basically used them to place a $1000 deposit on what turned out to be a totally misrepresented piece of junk. PayPal told me tooooo bad can't help. VISA the same.

fred k
fred l kennedy