North American Turbocoupe Organization

Central/Upstate NY new member Hellos!
Tedybear315 Offline
Well as the subject says...

Just joined and have an 1988 Turbo Coupe and an 1987 Turbo Coupe (going to be a parts donor)

It's my wife's "Dream Car" (okay, and also a money pit....)

Picked up the 1987 white car with all the bells and whistles...Manual!... knowing it had what we figured was mild front frame rot.  Pulled the drive train and quickly figured out there's no such thing as "mild" frame rot.  The 1987 is in pretty rough shape and the costs to repair would exceed $2500 for repair. 

So we picked up an 1988 with an auto  (I know...blah...A4LD)  That one has mild surface rust on the rear frame-  But my wife has already spent time under the car cleaning all of that off and it's been 'rust converted'...primed and painted.  So that outta slow things down a lot.

The 1988 sadly hasn't been on the road sense 2012.  And every bit of rubber is shot! 

Back story:  Kid had that one street legal with a title.  He was in the middle of repairs and picked up a 1987 twin.  (with manual, but no title.....)  He gets deployed overseas and didn't make it home.   Family decided to start eliminating his projects, so the one with a title is now owned by my wife and I.

Found out the reason for the car being off the road.  Cracked Cylinder Head..  I managed to get it running (filled the oil...down 3 qts.....)  Tossed in some fresh gas and managed to get it started!.  Transmission didn't like being moved at first-  Slipped and such.  (Expected.)  Suddenly the transmission issues resolved after getting some fluid action, but the ol' girl blows more smoke then a cigar convention.  All White... 

Plans so far?  Going to remove the cylinder head from the 1987.  Check it for straightness/flat.  Change out the valve guide seals.  (Going to need research on that one....not used to working with overhead cam systems.)  And installing all new rubber hoses/vacuum lines, gaskets...  And flush out the oil, sense it's contaminated with coolant.  Good news is-  Bottom half of the engine is quiet as a church mouse.  No knocks or rattles.  So a good flush out and top off should be okay once the head is swapped.

Then it's brakes and I mean ALL brakes.  (hoses are trashed...all dry rotted.  Rotors are blah....)  Going to strip most of the hard parts off the 1987.

When it's all set,  we'll probably part out the 1987 for what ever we do not use or need for spares.  Gotta recoup some of that $$ come spring time.

So that's the basics... 

Location is Fulton, NY if anyone wonders.  I know a few Turbo Coupe fans in the area already.  Looking forward to picking some brains from time to time.

Thanks All!

Be Well..

S-

Kuch Offline
Wow Tedy, welcome to the forum, I am just down 481 in Manlius. I drive a black 88 5 Speed TC with a blue stripe instead of red.
1988 Turbo Coupe, Black/Black, 5 Speed, Moonroof,  T3/T4, ported E6, 255LPH, Kirban, Stinger Exhaust, MGW shifter, K&N, Gillis valve, BP1.5, PIMPx, Koni's
1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL, 390 6V, Big Solid cam, Headers,3.89's, 4 Speed, Vast and fast
1960 Ford Starliner, 292 Y Block, 312 4bbl intake, headers, 3 Speed, slow and low

Tedybear315 Offline
Cool, nice to see a few neighbors!

S-

Kuch Offline
Tedy,
If and when you start to part out the white one, I could use a good front bumper as someone at some point cut out the air dam portion of mine and I had to jury rig a bolted on air damn to the bottom of the radiator support for air flow. I could also use the small pocket above the factory stereo location where the optional EQ goes. Keep me in mind in the future. Thanks
1988 Turbo Coupe, Black/Black, 5 Speed, Moonroof,  T3/T4, ported E6, 255LPH, Kirban, Stinger Exhaust, MGW shifter, K&N, Gillis valve, BP1.5, PIMPx, Koni's
1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL, 390 6V, Big Solid cam, Headers,3.89's, 4 Speed, Vast and fast
1960 Ford Starliner, 292 Y Block, 312 4bbl intake, headers, 3 Speed, slow and low

Tedybear315 Offline
(12-10-2019, 09:58 PM)Kuch Wrote: Tedy,
If and when you start to part out the white one, I could use a good front bumper as someone at some point cut out the air dam portion of mine and I had to jury rig a bolted on air damn to the bottom of the radiator support for air flow. I could also use the small pocket above the factory stereo location where the optional EQ goes. Keep me in mind in the future. Thanks

Front bumper is in okay shape..  Not 100%, as it had a few cracks on the underside where the retainers are.  (going off memory).  I think the wife wants to hold onto the lights/reflectors and such.  Sense that's a white one, and the one we have as the 'winter project' is deep blue or 'blackish'.  We have the bumper reinforcement tucked away under a work bench.    Currently the entire front bumper assembly is just sitting on top of a pile of general crap that is in the 'barn' we work out of.  (That barn seems to be a catch all for all things junky...)

We'll likely have a set of fair looking fenders, hood.  (overpaid for that hood, and it needs a bath....)  

Once spring has 'sprung' is when we're hopeful to put this one on the road, and likely start listing stuff.

I think we might  have that pocket for the EQ.  I'll have to ask the wife...She's in charge of the interior.

Once we return from PA for the weekend,  My next day 'off' would be on Tuesday.  I can see about getting some photos.   If you can post a photo of what you need?  I'll check and see how and if ours would work for you.

I'll probably also do a 'build' post on what we've found and how we're tending to it...

S-

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
Welcome to NATO!
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

RocketshipChair Offline
Nice to see another NYS bird. I live up in Rochester NY and also have one. My current one is white with a red interior with every option except leather and premium sound. You'll be totally fine just changing the head and gasket as the blocks usually don't have too many issues besides the rings. When you have the head off you'll want to check to make sure the cylinders aren't scored and that there's no slop in the pistons from worn rings. I would strongly recommend having a machine shop clean and deck the head as it's less than $100 and gives you piece of mind that the head gasket won't leak. I have a basement and a garage full of parts; if you run into something you need let me know.
Andrew
88 Turbo Bird 5 spd no mods

Tedybear315 Offline
(12-31-2019, 05:18 PM)RocketshipChair Wrote: Nice to see another NYS bird. I live up in Rochester NY and also have one. My current one is white with a red interior with every option except leather and premium sound. You'll be totally fine just changing the head and gasket as the blocks usually don't have too many issues besides the rings. When you have the head off you'll want to check to make sure the cylinders aren't scored and that there's no slop in the pistons from worn rings. I would strongly recommend having a machine shop clean and deck the head as it's less than $100 and gives you piece of mind that the head gasket won't leak. I have a basement and a garage full of parts; if you run into something you need let me know.

Good to know!

We checked the head-  It was within specs for 'warp'.  And still had fresh machining marks.  Head was installed a few hours ago,  Heavy bas*tard too!   Old cylinder head is in a bag on the floor.  Might check into a different head and rebuild the other block later this summer.  It came off the 1987 Donor T-Bird.  Looks like someone did a good job on getting the head reworked and painted, etc..  But they went totally crazy with the RTV.  From coating the entire intake manifold gasket in it...to the Exhaust gasket?!?!  

And the incorrect screws and bent thermostat housing.

Last time I had the local machine shop give me work-  My 07 Forester (All Purpose Winter/All season 'rat').  It was $65 just to clean the head.  Decking, seals, etc...  And it hit $325.

Local guy that used to run a machine shop and a DYNO facility did the heads for the Subaru for $50 a head.  But he's retired and very selective on who he does work for.  (He's well off and not hard up for $$$).  

I think the head should be fine, as it passed the straight edge test.  And the install went decent.  (So far.)  Just need to finish up the bulk of the work.  ALL the hoses are getting replaced,  belts..etc...  Car sat for several years due to the owners son (this was his project 'baby') passing away while on overseas deployment.

We'll post along as things progress.....

S-