North American Turbocoupe Organization

Stock Turbo
EveryDayBirdStuff Offline
I know this has probably been answered before, but what is the stock turbo for an 88 turbo coupe auto? and what would be a good rebuild kit?

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
87-88 stick and A4LD both use the same Warner ISHI (usually called the IHI) turbo. The A4LD cars are limited to 10 psi max (the WGA setting) and the 5 speed is limited to 14 psi under some conditions based on the signal the PCM sends to the BCS.

Check Ebay or a local turbo shop for rebuild kits.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor
14 Toyota Camry (wifes car)
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter beater
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

BigJake Offline
Bought this a few months ago for my leaking oil IHI turbo.

Cost $109 from Gpopshop.com, email them and they will help you out.

[img][Image: P1060300_zpseg1grry4.jpg][/img]
1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe 5 speed Boosting 25 PSI with Boport/Stinger parts !

THANK YOU BOTH, i really needed this info. the seals are gone blowing oil out.

86 XR7 5spd Offline
many TF'ers upgrade the 87-8 IHI to the 83-6 garrett...
bigger, spools a bit slower, flows better, more upgrades
David T
T5 / ported E3 / .63 / 35# / K&N
2.5" exhaust w/ cherry bomb
30+ mpg! 8.2 0-60, 16.4@88 1/4 (gTech)

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
^^^^ Yup!

I upgraded to a .48 T3 16+ years ago along with a free flowing exhaust, etc, etc. Spools just as fast as the old IHI did, and provided a significant performance boost. Plus T3 parts are easier and cheaper to find.
Jeff Korn

88 Turbo Coupe: Intake and exhaust mods, T3 turbo at 24 psi, forced air IC, water injection, BPV, Ranger cam, subframes, etc., etc.
86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner): intake, exhaust, valvetrain mods, 100 HP N2O, ignition, gears, suspension, etc., etc.
11 Crown Vic Interceptor

anasazi4st Offline
(10-27-2019, 02:50 AM)EveryDayBirdStuff Wrote: I know this has probably been answered before, but what is the stock turbo for an 88 turbo coupe auto? and what would be a good rebuild kit?

I have purchased 2 rebuild kits from eBay seller gyturbo; they were inexpensive ($30-50) and included all rebuild parts that I needed. (I am currently running an IHI turbo with one of their rebuild kits in it with no issues.)

The part numbers on the listing are MY31 / MY34 /MY59 / MY60 / MY67 / MY75 / MY8 .

I have gotten kits from other sellers and have not been happy; missing/incorrect parts, etc. I had a kit I got some time ago from another seller and just used it to rebuild a spare turbo. The bearings were not the correct size, prompting me to go back to gyturbo for the correct kit.
Another proud dues-paying member.

1987 Turbo Coupe w/T5OD, 8.8 axle, grey smoke; most options. Got it in 1991 with 41K miles: 3 turbos, 2 heater cores, 3 T5OD full rebuilds, 6 clutches, 1 head gasket, 2 Teves II ABS units, etc. later....
Mikey97D likes this post

What would be a good factory replacement, with little to no mods to work as possible? Something that won't cause the computer to be tuned or anything, just drop in and go.

Jeff K Offline
Administrator
As noted above, a Garrett T3. You will need a different oil return line. Whenever replacing a turbo ALWAYS replace the oil feed line!!
Jeff Korn

11 Crown Vic Interceptor

I have never done this, so walk me through it please lol. The return line feeds the bearings from where on the engine? And what would i be replacing it with?